+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

weeeee
    Ok so back to Jack's diagram....If I do it that way and mark the white as hot am I good?

2nd question--canuk, if I were to use 1 of those methods how do I go about adding additional light fixtures? Did I miss something? I understand the diagrams, but just not on how to add.

Thanks again!
    Jerome A.

2nd question--canuk, if I were to use 1 of those methods how do I go about adding additional light fixtures? Did I miss something? I understand the diagrams, but just not on how to add.
    the illustrations show one light but you would daisy chain the subsequent lights ......black to black ..... white to white
    like this .............
    http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option5.htm
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

"Ok so back to Jack's diagram....If I do it that way and mark the white as hot am I good?"

My drawing is correct and to code, the only thing I forgot to mention was that you need to remark the white wire going to T2 of switch 2 (both ends) to indicate that it is used has a hot wire. You do not mark any of the other white wires.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Great! Thanks to all of your help. So easy a caveman...well I can understand it. Now off to work I go.

Jerome A.

That thread gave me a headache and I understand it.

Nec I think what they mean by return is a backfeed from a lighting outlet (not between 3ways) the remarked white would need to be the leg hot all the time (not switched). I think you understand that but werent getting it across or I didnt get it.

If your using a remarked white as anything it shouldnt be the traveler IMO, code doesnt list a minimum requirement in this case but its easier to comprehend it when you open the switch, you see the reidentified white on a common screw you imeadiately know how the 3way is wired. (dead ended) but these are symantics and personal preference all the ways posted were legal.

I'm not sre but I think we all just said the same thing 3 different ways besides most of those drawings look like emt anyway....
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Hey Lloyd

Go back and look at post #7. Would you ever wire a 3-way like that?

Per NEC the white can only be used as a neutral or used as a full time hot. It can not be used for a traveler or switch leg or "return".

Not saying it will not work. Just does not meet current code requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Hey Lloyd

Go back and look at post #7. Would you ever wire a 3-way like that?

Per NEC the white can only be used as a neutral or used as a full time hot. It can not be used for a traveler or switch leg or "return".

Not saying it will not work. Just does not meet current code requirements.
    No, personally I would not, altho I do beleive that it is a legal installation if you use the re-identified white as the common instead of the traveler.(I think I'll get the book out to be sure)

Here again I'll point out that "the code" is NOT a guideline for electrical installations but rather a "minimum standard" what is considered to meet the minimum isnt always right.

The only advantage I can see to that type of instalation is maybe avoiding having to fish a wire in one area but there are better ways to do it IMO.

I'll be checking for sure here because it does bring up a good question I know what NEC is talking about here I just need to look to see where it does and doesnt apply.

Before we go further tho a good healthy debate often helps US understand a specific section better, so lets not let it turn into a schite spewing contest, (as often it does on forums) but instead try to find a definitive answer.

OP consider this post officially hijacked and thanks for giving us a chance to find something worth getting the book out for.

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd.

Any day that affords an opportunity to spar with Jack is a good day.

Question Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

200.7C2 does say, as NEC stated,

"...used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor" however it prequalifies that statement with this...

"where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor for single pole , 3-way or 4-way switch loops ..."

I think the key word here is switch loop and how you define it. IMO the switch loop is the cable assembly used to bring power from a lighting outlet to a switch where it is interupted and returned within the same assembly. If that is the case then 200.7C2 doesnt adress it and it would fall under 200.7C1 which basically says it has to be permantly reidentified, as Jack stated

Looking at the drawing in post 7, the 3 conductor cable on the right would in-fact be a "switchloop" and require you to not use the reidentified conductor on a "return" conductor (meaning so far I am the only one who has been wrong when I said to use the reidentified conductor as the one from the common) one of two travelers are also a return conductor as well, so If I defined "switchloop" correctly this would NOT be a legal instalation (making me wrong yet again)

Of course all this hinges on my definition of a "switchloop" being exclusive to the assembly between the lighting outlet and switch, if anyone has another definition please show it, as you can see I dont mind being wrong.

edited to add
    that is based on NFPA 70 2008 edition if you dont have a copy there is a link to a read only copy at the bottom of this wiki page 2008 electric code
    of course you may need to register an account which I think is free
    Last edited by Lloyd; 10-28-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: adding a reference

Because the hot is connected to the switch on the right the two travelers are considered hot to the switch on the right. The return is from the common on the switch on the right it must be black.

Consider a single light with the power going to the light box. The drawing below matches code requirements. The white to the switch on the right can not go to the "C" terminal because it is the return. The travelers on the left switch are switched outputs but on the right they are hot to the switch.
    Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb