+ Reply to Thread

Question How does this work?

I have a question about an unusual setup for the control of the kitchen lights in my father's home. The original 1920's wiring was rewired in the early 1950's, although some wiring sections and switches have since been replaced.
    What he has are two separate ceiling fixtures and two-three way switches at each end of the kitchen. As it currently works (and has for 50 plus years), depending on how the switches are positioned; he can turn one light or the other on; turn both of them on or turn both of them off.
    As I said, there are only two - three way switches. Electricians have told me this cannot work, yet I have demonstrated to them that it does work. Short of opening all the walls to expose and trace the wiring (I don't think my father would allow me to do this) Does anyone have an idea how this happened, and more importantly, can someone draw me a circuit diagram so that I could reproduce this effect some day in the future? I happen to like the way they work and may want to rewire some lights in my home to work the same way.

Default Re: How does this work?

This is the closest I can come using NEC's california 3 way wiring.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Californiathreeway[sp].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	2919  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: How does this work?

So it's called "California 3 way" - Thanks for the info. The circuitry actually looks so simple. Believe it or not, my father says he didn't ask for the hookup this way - his army buddy who was an electrician did the work. I knew if anyone knew how to do it, it would be someone on This Old House Discussions. Thanks for your reply!