+ Reply to Thread

Default Mold in Betterliving Sunroom

my mother in-laws two year old sun room has been growing mold of variant colors and designs on the tile floor.

my father in law put the tile in but a company installed the sunroom. my father in law passed away shortly after it was finished.

the first time my mother in law noticed the mold growing on the tile ,it was a black color mold,she cleaned it and it came back. i inspected the side of the sunroom where the mold had grown which is the north side, this side doesn't receive much sunlight. also their is moss growing on that side on the ground. we contacted the company who installed the sunroom and they gave us the runaround and only recommend bleach so i dug up the side of the foundation where the mold had grown and under the sunroom ,the boards had moisture and slime mold growing on the boards. the wood floor is supposly special treated wood and guranteed. the foundation consists of just the dirt ,joists and the floor boards. i sprayed the mold with bleach and it killed it for awhile. then a new mold emerged on the tile floor this morning that was yellow and red and quite large.i know that moisture is probably the problem, but what can we do to dry it out. i was told possibly pea stone. please help!

Default Re: Mold in Betterliving Sunroom

barry .... could provide some pictures ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry haber View Post
    the foundation where the mold had grown and under the sunroom ,the boards had moisture and slime mold growing on the boards. the wood floor is supposly special treated wood and guranteed. the foundation consists of just the dirt ,joists and the floor boards.
    Is this to say that there is earth to wood contact with the siding? And that there is no structural support under this space so that the floor framing is sitting in the dirt? No matter what you do you're going to have mold, which is the least of your problems. Eventually all that wood is going to rot - treated or not. The sun room should either have a proper, ventilated foundation or been placed on a slab.

The wooden support was placed on a cement slabs. There is some space between the wood and the dirt because of these slabs. I believe the problem stems from the fact that there is no ventilation. Thankfully, we got in touch with an executive from the company and they are coming here this Friday to see what can be done. They seem determined to gain our satisfaction, which is reassuring after we got the runaround from our local office. I have attached some pictures for you to look at. The mold in these pictures grew from just one day to the next. Thanks for your help.

Yikes!!!

Suggest you quickly call Hollywood to send out a film crew. They could do a sequel of Creature From The Black Lagoon.

That is some nasty lookin' stuff.

Don't know where you're located, but if those concrete "slabs" that the wood structural members of the floor are sitting on aren't below frost, then there will be more problems to come when the frost heaves them.....if you live in a freeze-zone. If so, let's hope those "slabs" are actually piers appropriately installed.

But even so..... if there was no heavy-gauge plastic sheeting laid over the dirt under this room/addition, then you're taking on ground moisture in the form of water vapor. Probably....lots of moisture vapor. That could well be a source of your problems.... as well as a possible lack of gutters and the known lack of ventilation.

Hopefully the company will stand behind this all and rebuild it on their dime.

Here's another photo - Better Living Sunroom:

from below subfloor

That.....is a disaster.

It appears that the soil nearest the perimeter of the room is the wettest. Is the soil around this room appropriately graded/pitched away from the addition? Gutters installed and dropping their load far away? If not.......did the contract designate who was responsible for these items?

Not even a plastic vapor barrier over the soil. Yikes.

Me thinks it's likely time to call a lawyer if the company doesn't make 100% good on this .......in a very timely fashion.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-09-2007 at 12:20 AM.