+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Electrical Novice Needing Simple Wiring help

Hello, I've got an old flourescent light I had to remove months ago, and foolishly didn't label the lines, since I thought I would replace and remember sooner.

The light has single black and white wires coming from it. The ceiling has a red wire, two **** wires (tied together) and two **** wires (tied together that I know weren't originally in use.) Can someone explain how I can verify which wires should be connected for my light.

Please be kind, we've had to deal with a good bit of drywall, plumbing, mold issues, and this light issue is the least of our worries unless I hook it up wrong. Thank you for your help!!!

Default Re: Electrical Novice Needing Simple Wiring help

The red is likely the hot lead in, the **** are likely neutral. Test with a multi-meter or similar electrical tester to be certain. If this is the case, then red to fixture black, **** to fixture white.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hoaa!

"****" wires? You have lost me. Are you sure there are no bare or white wires?

Can you post a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Hoaa!

"****" wires? You have lost me. Are you sure there are no bare or white wires?

Can you post a pic?
    You got yourself a point there NEC. I was thinking the whites were probably "****" with age.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks guys, I do believe the "****" are old white lines. However, there are a pair of two lines tied together. One pair gets tucked back in the wall for sure. But for the other pair, do I connect just one ****/white wire or the pair of them that are currently tied together (as I believe they were tied to the light originally.)

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if that will lend some help.

Many thanks!

You would connect the pair of neutrals from the box to the light and take the red to the fixture black.

It does not make sense to have another neutral passing through the box. (The pair described as tucked in the back.) My bet is that they are hot and not switched.