+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grout?

Default Grout?

I am installing white subway tile for my bathtub surround and installing a rustic tan colored tile for my floor, in a small bathroom. I would like to use the same color grout for the floor and surround wall, and don't want to use white. Has anyone installed white tile with colored grout? What color looks good, besides white/bone with white tile?

Default Re: Grout?

Thats a pretty open question being its about personal taste.
    I personally don't like using a grout that acts like a picture frame to each tile...but thats just me. I like something that will blend to some degree. I don't like foing any darker than an almond/beige-ish color on white tile.If I were you...I'd bring the tile to your tile store and hold it up to their grout color chart...pick out a few that interest you and buy the smallest container of it they sell to try it out on a larger scale making a sample board of your own.
    A lot of tike stores including some of the box stores do sell small containers of grout. Most grout is pretty inexpensive anyway so....
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I'd stick with white in the shower and a darker color on the floor. The reason for darker on the floor is that light grouts show dirt, and no matter how fastidiously clean you are, the floor grout is going to collect dirt and become disgusting in short order. As Andy suggests, take samples of tile to a tile supplier (not a big box) and see what grouts are available that you like. Dal Tile sells directly to the public, which is the exact same brand you get at the big box. Funny thing is, you'll likely pay LESS from directly Dal than at the big box and you'll have much more selection for your time and trouble.

Also, the suggestion of choosing several grouts and doing sample boards is a good one. Small packages are between $5 and $10, so it's not much of an investment to be able to try several things before you have to live with it for a lifetime. I recommend the same advice when making major decisions about paint colors as well. A quart of paint to test with is far cheaper than the 20 to 30 gallons it takes to paint a house and not be happy with it.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Thanks Andy and A.Spruce! I actually went to my local tile shop and looked at grout colors for a while today, and I think I am going with a light tan, just a shade darker than bone. I wanted to use the same grout on my floor, but after you mentioned the dirt issue, I am definitely going darker on the floor with rusty colored tiles. Thanks for the suggestions!

-Nicole

You're welcome. and be sure to use "sanded" grout on the floor tiles assuming the joint size is appropriate.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Good luck, and report back with pictures and how you like your colors.

It will depend on the size of the grout joints. Most subway tiles are butt jointed and are only spaced by the nipples on the sides of the tiles. This gives you about a 1/16 grout joing. Unsanded grout will have to be used because the sanded grout will not go down into that small of a grout joing and stay. On the floor, most tiles are laid with a 1/4'' grout joint. Sanded grout is used on this. The sanded grout gives extra durability for walking on it. We have started only using a product called Accu Color XT made by TEC. Its a little harder to work with because it dries a little quicker and it is a little more expensive up front but it never has to be sealed and it is water proof. You can buy grout caulk in the same color as your grout as well to run around the base of your tube so it will be able to move and flex with the tub without cracking.

The very best grout I've ever used is Latacrete spectralock epoxy grout.

It definetly has a learning curve so don't listen to the directions so far as mixing it all up at once or you'll be sorry!!
    Its by far the strongest grout I've ever used and the finsihed results look amazing. Its not cheap either.
    Here's a link to SL and another good link I think people will find helpful
    http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/s...ets/DS7100.pdf
    http://www.tiledealer.org/archives/2...erupdate.shtml
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו