+ Reply to Thread

Default Push-fitting questions...

Ok here goes,
    Today, a friggin cold water line to tub developed a crack, made a big mess. I had to use push-fittings to create connection so we can have water tonight and tomorrow morning.

My concern is how good are the push-connect fittings?
    Are they good for long term use or temporary repair?

Do not sugar coated it, tell me the truth because it is the first time I've use and I got a weird feeling about it.

The link below is the type of fitting I use.

http://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sku=11111690

The picture below is the actual repair I made.

"Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: Push-fitting questions...

God I hate PEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't really speak to the push fittings you used. I've seen them, but thankfully have never needed them, though that may only be a matter of time considering that this manufactured home is plumbed with that garbage.

The Shark Bite line of PEX fittings is supposed to be pretty good and to be used without the need of crimping tools or other things.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Walt.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We use push-fit connectors in the laboratory/industrial setting all the time.

I currently use them on 90 PSI air and normal 40-60 PSI water connections and they are under pressure all the time with no problems.

I don't think they are any worse than other non-soldered / non-glued connections.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    God I hate PEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't really speak to the push fittings you used. I've seen them, but thankfully have never needed them, though that may only be a matter of time considering that this manufactured home is plumbed with that garbage.

The Shark Bite line of PEX fittings is supposed to be pretty good and to be used without the need of crimping tools or other things.

Thanks...your 2 are always interesting to read and learn.

Yes, the fitting I posted are similiar to "shark bite line", I will need a tool to remove the lines.

One last thing, I agree with you on PEX tubing and push fittings. Pretty soon there will be lack of certified plumbers, lack of $$$ to be made and bunch of people claiming to be expert on plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    We use push-fit connectors in the laboratory/industrial setting all the time.

I currently use them on 90 PSI air and normal 40-60 PSI water connections and they are under pressure all the time with no problems.

I don't think they are any worse than other non-soldered / non-glued connections.

Cheers.
    How good are they?
    Are they failure prone?

FYI...soldered connections lasted long, long, long time.......trust me on that....I have experiences on soldered connections.
    It is first time I use push fitting, I just got a weird feelings about it. If I could, I would plumbed my house with copper pipes and be done with it.

These push fittings are good for long term use. People in my area, Missouri are starting to use them. I also didnt think much of them at first. After checking with manufacturing instructions and local inspectors they are however rated for underground use. When connected to Pex pipe you should use a stiffener. You dont need a specil tool to remove. Just run,the jaws of a crescent wrench snug and it does the same thing as the tools they try and sell

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    God I hate PEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate PB more, it will fail and cause leaks its only a matter of time plus the water chemistry.

Don't see a bit of pex in the photo. PTFE.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 10-28-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    I hate PB more, it will fail and cause leaks its only a matter of time plus the water chemistry.

Don't see a bit of pex in the photo. PTFE.
    It's all the same garbage, just different formulations of plastic.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Curious about the disdain for PEX. What makes it so bad?

I ask because I came home from work last summer and water was running out from under the garage door of my neighbors home. Turned out the neighbor was out of town at the time and the water had leaked for a long, long time. Pretty much destroyed the first floor. I asked about what had happened and was told, Its still under investigation.

Anyway, They like me have PEX throughout for our water supply.

Or, maybe it isnt PEX. It is white and plastic. Compression fittings are used for water supplies to sinks and lav's and the 90s the fittings appear to be glued.