+ Reply to Thread

Thread: an accident

Default an accident

Home on leave doing marathon repairs when I was sanding what was left of the finish around an exterior door before refinishing and the orbital sander sliped out of my hand, marring the large and expensive double pane window. Is there any way to "buff this out"? Thaks for any help Glen

Default Re: an accident

You can put some horseradish on it and bind it with butter and coconut oil. It should do the trick!

Find the best grade of car rubbing compound at a car parts store and a mechanical buffer and buff out just this area. The glass won't be totally perfect but it will look pretty good.

Use jewelry rouge. They comes in different color. I think it is either white or brown but please check it out first before buying.

You can find them at any Jewelry Stores or eBay.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    Use jewelry rouge. They comes in different color. I think it is either white or brown but please check it out first before buying.

You can find them at any Jewelry Stores or eBay.
    Follow BigWalt's advice and also test the use of tooth paste we used to use both of these to clean up aircraft windsheild's.

Smile Re: an accident

Years ago when I was in junior high school they had a plastics shop and made a great deal of things out of plastic. Anyway the shop teacher told us that if you accidentally mar a piece you are working on use this paste. Well wouldn't you know it a few days later I scratched my watch crystal and I think I asked the teacher would that take away the scratch and he said yes. So I tried it and it worked. Sorry I don't know the name of the stuff too many years ago. I would call a glass shop up and ask them if they know what to use maybe they have some of that paste. Good luck to you!

Glass is, obviously, very hard. Things like toothpaste and rubbing compounds work well on plastic but won't have much of a result on glass.

Glass shops typically use cerium oxide based polish. It might work depending on the grit of sandpaper you were using. Someone used steel wool on the windshield of my car once(!), and the scratches were too deep for a glass shop to polish out, although I think it might have helped a little.

Good luck!

thanks to share very good comments