+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I have to remove the wallpaper

We just bought a 20 year old home with wallpaper overload. There seems to be two types. Below the ubiquitous chair rails it is all vinyl and above the rail it is a paper type wallpaper. It was all professionally installed I was told. It is also horrible unless you like blue plaids. I want to texture the walls and paint. Three different drywall professionals have said (1) texture over the paper directly (2) prime the wall paper with Kilz and then texture (3) remove all wall paper to the sheetrock (which was primed) and then texture the sheetrock. Since these three perspectives were from contractors giving me bids I way mystified that there were three ways to approach this situation.
    I am ready to experiment with Kilz on different surfaces and small amounts of mud to see what happens. Any better thoughts out there? or should I just man-up and rent the steamer?

Default Re: Do I have to remove the wallpaper

Well I am answering my own post but since it was getting a lot of views I thought I'd share what I have decided to do. After talking to drywall contractors I brought in paint contractors. This is a large home and there was no way to do all that needed to be done in a timely manner myself.
    The painters all agree that priming with an oil based primer will provide a solid surface to texture over. There should be little chance of failure except on some borders that are lifting a little. Those have to come off and I rented the steamer to do those.
    The thing to know is that the wall paper was originally applied to sheetrock that was sized properly and installed professionally. Had that not been the case it would have had to be removed down to the paper on the sheet rock.
    More later when I get further into this.

Smile Re: Do I have to remove the wallpaper

So this is me again talking about what I am doing on these walls.
    I had a painter prime all the walls with Kilz Complete; the exterior/interior oil based primer. It was very smelly and I was running fans constantly with the heat cranked up. The painter was wearing a double canister that I doubt did much to protect him. After letting it all dry 2 days I walked the walls looking for any problems in the walls. I did find some bubbles in the wall paper but I think that these preceded the priming. They looked like some I found before priming. I just missed these. I slit the bubbles with a utility knife, and scrapped them back to solid wall paper and then primed the bare spots. The texture contractor comes tomorrow and he is going to test some walls. if this is not going to work I want to know at the end of day one not when all the walls have pounds and pounds of wall mud on them. I'll add to this after probably November 22nd when the texture has dried a couple days to let anyone know what has happened.

I have primed and textured over vinyl "paper" with success. Actually, the vinyl was the finish layer of the drywall (mobile home ... ). After the priming, the walls were taped and floated to get rid of seams and the denim like texture of the vinyl, after that the walls were textured, primed again, and painted.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc View Post
    We just bought a 20 year old home with wallpaper overload. There seems to be two types. Below the ubiquitous chair rails it is all vinyl and above the rail it is a paper type wallpaper. It was all professionally installed I was told. It is also horrible unless you like blue plaids. I want to texture the walls and paint. Three different drywall professionals have said (1) texture over the paper directly (2) prime the wall paper with Kilz and then texture (3) remove all wall paper to the sheetrock (which was primed) and then texture the sheetrock. Since these three perspectives were from contractors giving me bids I way mystified that there were three ways to approach this situation.
    I am ready to experiment with Kilz on different surfaces and small amounts of mud to see what happens. Any better thoughts out there? or should I just man-up and rent the steamer?
    Yes get the steamers, painting over the paper is not the answer.

Up date on the process. The texture is being applied and there appears to be no trouble so far with these walls. All texture appears to be adhering as intended.
    The wallpaper that we did remove was the easy to pull off vinyl which left only a backing/glue on the wall. That got primed/sealed as as did all the "normal" wallpaper. Clearly, the steamer was the "correct" way to do the job, since the wallpaper was so tightly bound to the wall, sealing it and texturing over it was a reasonable option. The downside of the steamer was that I'd still be working on these same time next year.

I primed and textured over wallpaper in a previous house. didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the paper. I regretted it every single day.

Strip the paper, texture, prime, and paint. You'll be much happier!!

Quote Originally Posted by danandkathy View Post
    I primed and textured over wallpaper in a previous house. didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the paper. I regretted it every single day.

Strip the paper, texture, prime, and paint. You'll be much happier!!
    I am very curious about the regret. Did you have a texture failure? What brand of primer did you use. Was the wall paper properly installed to begin with? You are scaring me.

I have finished with the texture and the painting. I had the wall spray painted to optimize the texture's look. It is a style called Sun Valley here in Idaho. I may be a smoother version of Santa Fe done elsewhere. It looks great. If I have a failure I'll be putting up other info on this site but so far it all looks great. The proof will be if it remains in good condition for a long time.

This is a follow up from me to you. For the past 3-4 days I have been painting windows, base board, door casings. I noticed that where the painter (who sprayed the walls) had masked off the windows and all trim, they ran a utility knife to slit the tape to make it easier to remove it. In so doing they sometimes broke the seal that the coat of oil based Kilz had provided. That was sort of the water proofing to prevent the texture from penetrating all the way through the wall paper to the drywall causing failure. As a consequence I think I want to run a very small bead of clear silicone along those edges. I don't want to risk any moisture getting under the edge of the wall paper and causing it and the texture to lift and fail. I guess the real question is am I ahead of where I'd be if I had steamed all the wall paper off. As far as cost go, the only added cost was the cost of having the Kilz rolled and brushed on. That was $1500 including the Kilz. The house is 3100' sq so not too bad. All the rest of the costs are the same. The question of do I have a better job, only time will tell. I am probably 3-4 weeks ahead, in terms of getting moved in and putting the house we are living in on the market. We live in Boise and houses are moving here so it was worth it to us to trade the money for the time.

I bought a house that's about 40-some years old. Just last week I decided I couldn't stand the look of the painted over, peeling wallpaper in my old kitchen. It's a very small area on one wall so I peeled it off best I could. Come to find out there were four layers of old wallpaper on the wall. I worked on it for quite sometime and despite my efforts there were still patches of wallpaper left here and there. Thinking..it's a small area and I was trying to cut cost..I scrubbed it down, put a coat of mud over it, let it dry, then textured it. While waiting for it to dry (about an hour later) I noticed the old wallpaper pieces were peeling off! All my time and effort spent was a waste. My advice...no matter how little is left on the walls...remove all of the paper before you do anything else. Always start with a clean surface. It will be worth it in the long run.