+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold bedroom

Default Cold bedroom

I live in a house that was build in 1921. In one if the bedrooms I have a vent that I assume is the air intake. It is approximately 28 by 22 in size. The supply fan is located approximately 2 feet away from it. when I run the heater in the winter time the room gets so cold that I can't be in the room. It seem that that the air intake sucks all the warm air from the supply duct before it has a chance to get distributed in the room. . I redirected the air from from the supply duct, but that only helped very little. My questions is, why is there such a huge air intake in this room? What does it take to fix this ? Will moving the supply duct help? Will and additional air supply duct help? can I cover up the air intake (I assume not)? Some additional info. the furnace is gas and it is in the attic. I live in Alabama.
    Thanks for your help.
    Martina

Default Re: Cold bedroom

The return size should bring back at least as much as is being supplied, more is OK. If I read you right your saying that your supply and return are only a couple feet away from each other. Not good, the air can't get distributed into the room so your going to have to move one or the other or if you have enough return air going back to the furnace without that one, close it off but be sure you have enough first. Is 28x22 the room size or the return grill size?? Is this the only return you have?? Good Luck!!!

Howdy consider having a heating contractor out to look and advise you about the sizing and location for the heating. Have you had anyone check the ceiling/ attic above the bedroom to see if it is insulated properly and if any outside walls in this bedroom are insulated?

The supply is two feet away from the return so the return is pulling the supply air back before it can be distributed into the room. Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinaschmidt View Post
    I live in a house that was build in 1921. In one if the bedrooms I have a vent that I assume is the air intake. It is approximately 28 by 22 in size. The supply fan is located approximately 2 feet away from it. when I run the heater in the winter time the room gets so cold that I can't be in the room. It seem that that the air intake sucks all the warm air from the supply duct before it has a chance to get distributed in the room. . I redirected the air from from the supply duct, but that only helped very little. My questions is, why is there such a huge air intake in this room? What does it take to fix this ? Will moving the supply duct help? Will and additional air supply duct help? can I cover up the air intake (I assume not)? Some additional info. the furnace is gas and it is in the attic. I live in Alabama.
    Thanks for your help.
    Martina
    Ditto the above replies.

To add ......... the 28 x 22 return is way too large to be a return for one room.
    Since the air handler is only about two feet away from this vent almost sounds like a main return vent for the entire area ----- though it doesn't make sense that it's located in a room rather than a hallway.

As previously mentioned that size of return is over powering the supply ---------- simply sucking in all the heat from the supply vent.

Secondly ----- with that size of vent you are also likely getting breezes which makes you cooler .

It definately sounds as though you need a HVAC professional to relocate that vent and have a smaller return installed in it's place. Depending on the heat / cooling load calculations you may also require another supply vent for this room.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with Canuk:
    Either get a Contractor to look at it or explain whats going on a little better, a 24x24 return grill will pull back 1850 CFMs so your looking at maybe 2000. If you are only using one return it should be centrally located , not in one Bedroom or at one end of your house. If it is the only return you could move it to the middle of your house and close that one off, cheapest and easiest fix. If it isn't the only return have someone check and see if you close that one off your furnace will function normally. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 11-11-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: more info