Default Replace cased opening

So the sketchy trim carpenter that trimmed our house thought it would be a great idea to use the leftover laminate shelving to make the "jamb" part of the cased openings in several areas of our house. Of course, laminate shelving has one really nice edge, but when he ripped it, he destroyed one of the edges on each piece, so it looks all chipped and horrible.

So I'm going to have to pull out all the cased openings, replace the jamb material, and then put the casing back around it. My question was, what kind of wood should I use for the jambs? Poplar? MDF? I just want something that will look nice and smooth and clean, not the disaster it is now.

What are cased openings usually made of on the jamb face?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mbmarsh76; 10-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: Replace cased opening

the jambs are usually made of pine, you could use pine, or pop.,or you could use what we call super shelf, which is a higher density fiber board, it comes in 12 in. by 16 ft.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

The super shelf worries me - I think that might be similar to what was used here - white laminated particle board. It's OK so long as you can use the factory edge, but if you have to cut it, it just shreds.....since the opening is only about four inches or so wide, I'd end up with the same problem right?

If you are going to paint it you can use pine or poplar, I prefer poplar. If you are going to stain and varnish or just varnish you can go with poplar, oak, walnut, cherry, or just about any hardwood. I personally won't even allow MDF in my shop.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mbmarsh76 View Post
    So the sketchy trim carpenter that trimmed our house thought it would be a great idea to use the leftover laminate shelving to make the "jamb" part of the cased openings in several areas of our house. Of course, laminate shelving has one really nice edge, but when he ripped it, he destroyed one of the edges on each piece, so it looks all chipped and horrible.

So I'm going to have to pull out all the cased openings, replace the jamb material, and then put the casing back around it. My question was, what kind of wood should I use for the jambs? Poplar? MDF? I just want something that will look nice and smooth and clean, not the disaster it is now.

What are cased openings usually made of on the jamb face?

Thanks!
    And you paid him?????
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BungalowMo View Post
    And you paid him?????
    Normally, I wouldn't have, but after contracting the entire house ourselves, I was ready for the loony bin! And I don't even think we realized what he had done until much afterwards, we were so focused on trying to get everything done so we could move in. It wasn't until several months later that we started to realize what a crappy job he had done in lots of places.....leaving staples in our door frames, cracking molding and just caulking it in place.....all kinds of stuff.

We're just now getting to the point where we want to try and go fix some of the cruddy stuff he did, this was just one of the starting points....