+ Reply to Thread

Default Matching Oak Floors and Blue Pine Stairs

Hi,

I recently had a crew come in and pull out a **** circa 1970's carpet that was covering the stairs, foyer, and living room of my 115 year old house. After pulling up the carpet, the floor guys advised me to replace the oak floors in the foyer and living room. However, after we pulled the carpet up from the stairs (which are very sturdy), we saw that the stairs were painted and made the decision to have them sanded and refinished instead of replaced.

After the sanding was done, we learned that the stairs were not made out of oak, but rather blue pine. Does anyone have any cosmetics tricks we could try to make the stairs match the new floors better? Installing a new staircase is out of the question and carpeting would really be the last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Matching Oak Floors and Blue Pine Stairs

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    since the floors and stairs are two different species of wood, it will very difficult to match the two up. i would simply refinish the hardwood as normal and stain the stairs darker but compliments the hardwood
    Thanks, Jkirk. Any advice about what I should do to the spindles and railing? This picture is a "before" picture, but shows you the dark brown paint they used on the railing. This paint definitely does not match the new red oak or the pine. It's way too dark. Should I just paint the whole thing white?

P.S. That is a safe stuck in the wall under the stairs. Weird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staircase.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	2878  

I agree with jkirk, however its all personal preference, in the pictures it looks fine the way it is, but if you don't like it paint the posts all white.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Have you considered stripping the newel post and hand rail. If the steps are stripped and sanded consider staining them with Minwax ****en Oak stain and varnishing them with OldMasters oil based varnish.. The Minwax ****en Oak stain is about the only Minwax product I recommend.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I recommend that you throw all Minwax products in the trash……..