+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy drain waste vent stub-out problem

The DWV stub-out in the wall is too high! The garbage disposal drain/exit is .5" higher than the stub-out. However, it is almost 7" above the P-trap. I'm not sure this is a problem. The sink and garbage disposal are in place. Now, it turns out the P-trap pipe to the wall is 2.5" lower, than the stub-out. The stub-out is 15.5" from the drain pipe the P-trap is attached to. Is there a remedy? This is a 1911 house we're refurbishing. To lower the stub-out would require major construction. Any suggestions?

By the way - I haven't had a kitchen for over a year. I'm finally at the end and can't hook up what seems to be the simplest thing.
    Last edited by swaycutt; 10-25-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Default Re: drain waste vent stub-out problem

Probably not what you want to hear but you might have to loose the disposal. Or lower the drain line. Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess not having a garbage disposal is not the end of the world. However, since there are flexible pieces available, would it be stupid to use one of those at the stub-out, attached to the p-trap tail piece? Or, use the flexible piece as the p-trap tail? I know water isn't supposed to flow upward - although it does out of the trap - but, it is only 2.5" more. If there's enough pressure in the waste water flow - would it work? Or, would it be better to attach the flexible piece to the end of the main drain - where the p-trap is now attached?

Thanks

If the disposal opening is only .5" above waste opening then it awill not work. I have seen people try and do this when putting in a new and deeper sink. usually what happens is the waste from the disposal will clog the p-trap in just a short while.