+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musty Basement

Default Musty Basement

I've got a full partially finished basement with tile floors and painted cinderblock walls under a 1952 ranch, about 2200 sq ft.total. No sump needed, no leaking, just musty. Have you heard of those basement systems where they vent through a hole in the footing and there's a sheet metal shaft mounted against a basement wall and it contains a fan and it's controlled by a humidistat? Supposedly draws good dry air from upstairs and vents musty air out the footing. The Wave is one system. Let me know if you think it would work. Currently running a small dehumidifier now with a fan, but during fall/spring when a/c and furnace not needed, musty smell builds up.

Smile Re: Musty Basement

When I lived in Michigan I finished the full basement. I had a sump pump that the footings drained into and the sump pump was constantly pumping water out even in the winter. I was concerned about the basement living area being damp and musty. I covered the wall with plastic sheating, then used concrete nails to nail 2 by 2's every 2 feet. Over this I put drywall 3/8th thick. My basement was very dry and confortable after my work.

Default Re: Musty Basement

Thanks for the info, but what I was really looking for was anyone who has some first had experience with those basement ventilators. Anybody out there?

Default Re: Musty Basement

Even though I live in high and very dry Denver, CO my old house sat on half crawl space. There were two 4” round ducts with in-line fans that pulled air from along the inside wall and exited to the outside. The fans were controlled by a humidistat. I was surprised on how often they ran.

Keep in mind that this was not a heated space.

I would think that if you are pulling air from a heated space in the winter and exiting it out of the home then you are watching heating dollars being wasted.

If you use the system only in non cooling and heating periods then you should be okay.

Will say though that I would save the money and buy the parts separate rather than buying a "system"
    Last edited by NEC; 10-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.