+ Reply to Thread

Question What is this tool?

We found this among a pile of rusty tools. I cleaned it up but we don't know what it's used for - some kind of scoring and also possibly a wrench-like key for turning something with 2 square indentations in it? The tool is about 12 inches long with no markings on it except "made in u.s.a." Between the 2 square protrusions are 2 identical, independent free-running wheels as seen in pics. It is obviously a specialized tool. We look forward to hearing from anyone who recognizes it.

Default Re: What is this tool?

That is a stone dressing tool to smooth the face of bench grinder wheels.

What do I win?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

***, thanks for the answer! Once I read your reply, I started Googling "wheel dressing tool" and, eventually, star wheel dressing tool" and ended up reading threads on a woodworking forum in Australia. NOW, I know what the two "prongs" are for - to hook on the tool rest and provide stability and fine adjustment of pressure against the grinding wheel during the dressing process. And of course I found out that they still sell tools that are very similar in design to this one. Good stuff - thanks again for pointing me toward "all I ever wanted to know about star wheel dressing tools and wasn't afraid to ask"!(With all the possibilities, we couldn't come up with the true purpose of this tool by just looking at it. I can't wait to tell my friend the answer!)

Ok, ok, yeah, yeah, yeah. So, what do I win?

Glad I could help.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!