+ Reply to Thread

Cool Water Heater...what to do?

Just a few hours ago i was cleaning around my current electric water heater only to find it is leaking. The water heater is about 10 yrs old so its about time. I just bought the house in July and am wondering if anyone had any input on whether i should convert to propane? i know the initial cost will be more but i am a single man who hates the fact of spending all this money on heating water with electric. I have looked at tank less and all i get are mixed reviews,Its they hate or love it. Well i need to do something very soon hope for some good advice.

Default Re: Water Heater...what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by rawson0625 View Post
    Just a few hours ago i was cleaning around my current electric water heater only to find it is leaking. The water heater is about 10 yrs old so its about time. I just bought the house in July and am wondering if anyone had any input on whether i should convert to propane? i know the initial cost will be more but i am a single man who hates the fact of spending all this money on heating water with electric. I have looked at tank less and all i get are mixed reviews,Its they hate or love it. Well i need to do something very soon hope for some good advice.
    Yes it will be costly to convert . One thing to consider is the need to provide an exhaust vent or flue for the gas fired unit.
    Being a single person the operating costs shouldn't be sky high with the electric or the gas..... though that depends on the utility costs.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would stick with elec. it doesnt sound like you would use that much hot water, and elec. aren't that much less efficient.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Smile Re: Water Heater...what to do?

To increase economy, stay electric, and put it on a timer. Timers cost about $50 plus installation (easily done in the electrical line to the heater). We have one with 2 adults/2 kids in a busy house. We have a 50 gallon GE, 12-year warranty electric and have plenty of water with the timer set to have the heater on 2.5 hours in the AM and 2.5 hours in the PM.

GOOD LUCK!

If you stay with the elc. heater check to see if that one is still is warranty. just call the 800 number on it give them the info off the heater,if it is still in warranty you will get a return number and just take that one back and get a new one.