+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation victorian bath remodel - HELP they want to use a jackhammer

we are trying to repair some water damage done to our master bath floor. We have had a couple of people look at the job and we haven't really gotten any good news. The water damage came from a toilet leak that happened quite a while before we bought the house, so the damage is contained to an area about 3x3.

We want to try and preserve the bathroom as best we can, it has subway wall tile the built soap dishes and such are all in great condition. When we had a contractor look at the work he said that the floor is LIKELY 3" of poured concrete with another inch or so that the tile was actually set in. We have been told that the only way to repair the damage is to demo the entire floor, with a jackhammer. (this is the point that I tossed the first contractor out on his fanny)

1. what are the chances that our floor has 3" of poured concrete?

2. Has anyone developed a method for repairing the area without having to demo the whole floor? - we are able to find tile that matches from salvage companies

3. IF we do have to demo the whole floor - are there steps that can be taken to help protect and preserve the wall tile?

Default Re: victorian bath remodel - HELP they want to use a jackhammer

I dont understand what kind of damage you are talking about? is your bath upstairs or down? Is the floor cracked? Tile coming up? give more details.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

The damage was from a leak in the toilet, the previous owner was elderly, I guess could address it himself. The water damaged the mortar and the tiles are are coming up. The same thing seems to have happened with some of the wall tiles just behind the toilet tank. There was enough water that there was a water stain on the ceiling below the bathroom.

The floor is not buckled and the damage is not wide spread.
    The tiles themselves are not cracked.
    The bathroom is on the second floor.
    The floor under the tiles does not seem to be cracked. but the tiles are very small and have not actually come up yet.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing it, but you can remove the old grout with a dremel type tool then regrout, are you sure your second story floor is concrete, i would guess it just has a thin mortar bed over 1x8 decking, if there are some loose tiles you could take them up and see whats under them, you could try just fixing the tiles that are loose, then regrouting the entire floor.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Quote Originally Posted by cjsand View Post
    are you sure your second story floor is concrete, i would guess it just has a thin mortar bed over 1x8 decking,
    You would be surprised. I've worked on homes built in the 50's and 60's that do indeed have a 3" mortar bed over 2x subfloor. I would have to agree with you, however, that if the mortar bed is in good shape, then the tile could be reattached and regrouted.

One concern would be the integrity of the wood subfloor. If enough water got through to stain the ceiling below, then enough water could have gotten through to start rotting the subfloor. Before tearing out the mortar bed to check, I'd be inclined to drill some inspection holes from underneath and see what the underside of the floor looks like first.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If it was just a leaking toilet and the leak has been taken care of and the concrete floor is solid take a look here http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/...ons/index.html Click on the tile demo video. You should be able to replace the loose tiles after a proper clean up. You can substitute the Dremel, the Bosch, or the Rockwell oscillating tool for the Fein.

If the problem is a leaking drain, part of the floor may need to be torn up. Not sure that it would all need to be torn.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I dont understand what kind of damage you are talking about?