+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tub and shower

Default tub and shower

Hi,
    We are replacing the tub and shower in bathroom. We have looked at Aqua Glass at Lowe's (like the tub and walls), but the reviews are really bad. So, looked at Home Depot. They have Bootzcast and Lascoat. And, the tub walls are Swanstone. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products?
    Thank you!

Default Re: tub and shower

No experience with the tobs you mention. Swanstone is a big name in cultured products. I've heard no bad reviews about that brand. I would recommend sticking with an enameled steel tub for durability and use a cultured or tile surround.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi,
    Thank you for replying!
    We will probably go with one of the 2 kinds mentioned, as we are going to be pressed for time. My 85 year old parents are coming in 1 1/2 weeks, so can't order a tub - need to get what is in stock. We are thinking of putting up cement board 4 ft up, then green board the rest of the way, around the tub/shower. Then, an enclosure (plastic around)on top of tub. We can even wait on the enclosure until their visit, and just use the tub! The enclosure we will need to order. What we saw on the enclosure is Swanstone. If we could get a Swanstone tub in stock, we would do that. But, haven't found any around us.
    Thanks, Maggie

As I mentioned, the Swanstone that I know of is a cultured product - manmade, resin. To my knowledge they do not make tubs, certainly not in the standard design, possibly if you went with a jetted or jacuzzi tub. They do mold shower pans though.

It's been quite a few years since I've done a bathroom and from what I read, green board is no longer code compliant for tub/shower walls. Blue board maybe. Cement bard is what I've been reading about here at TOH, but don't quote me on that. It would be best to check with your local building department to find out what is allowed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you very much for all of the advice!
    We ended up buying a Sterling tub. From the research I did, it seems like a good tub. We also bought the surround. We hope to get it in next week, since my folks are coming the next Sunday!
    If the floor is not level, (we won't know until taking out the leaking shower), it says to do a mortar bed to make it level. Do you have any experience with this?
    Thank you, Maggie

I've only set one tub in mortar because it was acrylic. Metal tubs that I've used have a styrofoam pad on the bottom to support them. The point of the mortar bed is to gently settle the tub into the mortar so that the bottom of the pan is fully supported, since this is what takes the weight of both water and occupant. Yes, the surrounding lip of the tub should be as level as possible from end to end, but ever so slightly tilted up at the back so that any moisture that gets behind the surround can drain back out. The tub should come with installation instructions, follow them, as the manufacturer knows how their product should best be handled.

Thank you so much for the help.
    The tub is acrylic, and it has a lot of support already by the way it is made. In fact, there is a pad to put under it. The instructions say to make sure that the tub is level, and if not, to put in a "mortar bed" to make it level. We are supposed to do the mortar bed only if it is not level. My husband isn't exactly sure of what to use for the mortar bed, or how deep to make it. I guess there is probably a "pre-mix" at the hardware store. And, I guess we do just enough to make it level. The directions don't say that part.
    Thank you for all of your help! You have made this project less stressful for us!
    Maggie

I don't think there is any premixed stuff out there, even so, the dry mix would be better. It's only around $4 a bag at the big box store. It's kind of hard to explain how to set a mortar bed, but it's easy to do. Google "mortar set tub" and variants of that and you should come up with some pretty good instructions.

Basically what I did was to mix the mortar up so that it was thick enough to hold it's shape well, but liquid enough to flow when the tub was placed. I piled the mortar along the outline of the tub "bowl" then gently set the tub into place, shimmying it to settle it down into the mortar. I would recommend setting the tub in place first to check for how much clearance there is between the "bowl" and the floor. Pile your mortar to about twice that depth, any more than that and you'll have a heck of a time settling the tub into the mortar bed completely.

Thank you!

You're welcome. Report back with your progress.