+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem with my recess lighting

I recently purchased a home and the recess lights in the foyer don't work. I need some advice on locating the problem. How do I test if the wall switch is working? If the switch is fine then how do I test the wiring?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Problem with my recess lighting

Well, this may not be the suggestion that you are looking for but if you do not have a basic understanding of electricity and how homes are wired you may want to call an electrical contractor to diagnose and repair the problem. He will have the knowledge and tools to fix it.

Kent has a point.

You might try changing the bulbs to see if that makes a difference.

If not, you could get a bad shock if you attempt to test the switch or the wiring.

Many of these repairs are simple, but you would have to have a neighbor, friend or relative who is familiar with testing electrical wiring come over and show you the basic steps.

It's always necessary to disable the electricity in the wiring you intend to work on before you touch it.

There are low-cost test instruments you can buy that verify the wires have no electricity in them before you touch them.

Be especially careful to avoid touching wiring or fixtures while high on a ladder, which could result in an injurious fall as well as a bad shock.

To further research this issue Google "troubleshooting light fixtures".
    Last edited by williams 191; 10-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks. I will take your advice and call an electrician to repair my lights.