+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default porch ceiling needed

The person who built my house used drywall for the porch ceiling. It is starting to come down on its own. I know it has to be replaced with a wood ceiling. What exactly do I ask for?

Default Re: porch ceiling needed

if the ceiling is an exterior porch and exposed to weather than i like azek beadboard. in looks traditional, low maintence. just provide good ventilation in the ceiling it self like vents in the eaves.

It is an exterior porch. Thank you.

My screen in porch roof need replacing also. what do you think about vinyl siding for deck roofs?

if you liked the look of the drywall the proper one to use would be an exterior soffit board. (looks and finishes the same as regular sheetrock) it is designed to withstand the moisture and is often used on drive thrus (i.e. banks etc.) as far as vinyl siding you would need to first put up something solid first, as in either plywood or something of that sort because it would need more attachment points.

Actually, USG makes just a product. It's Sheetrock Brand "Exterior Gypsum Ceiling Board". I wanted to use drywall on my exterior porch ceiling so I started doing some research and I found the product mentioned above. Here's the URL for it:

http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...ling_Board.htm

You're not supposed to use regular joint compound with this stuff. There's more info on the website.

Gary