+ Reply to Thread

Thread: slow gas leak

Default slow gas leak

Our house was built in 1900 and fitted with gas lighting fixtures. All but one are capped now, but there are still gas lines running to almost every room. The one remaining fixture has a charming look to it, but we've never found a bulb for it, and rarely I get a whiff of gas as I walk by it.
    Also, my wife and I woke up at 2:00 this morning to the smell of gas in the bedroom. We turned off the gas to the whole house (luckily the weather warmed up just in time for this little crisis).
    About a year and a half ago we hired a plumber to cut off the gas to the live gas lighting fixture. Unfortunately he took it upon himself to cut off and cap the first gas line he could find that wasn't headed toward the kitchen, hot water heater, or furnace. He said all the pipes off the main gas line were confusing.
    So, with the background stated, here are my questions:
    Do you have any tips on picking out a plumber to cut off gas to all non-vital lines? Is there a spe******t outside of a plumber that I should use? Know anyone good in Pittsburgh?
    Should the gas fixture be viewed as a positive, whether the gas is alive or dead? Or should we just cap that like everything else?

Thank you very much

Default Re: slow gas leak

First call your gas company. They should come out with a sniffer to check for leaks and should have a list of qualified plumbers to call. You are dealing with possibly 100 year old lines. Unless you are doing an historical restoration I would have all the unnecessary lines disconnected not capped.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: slow gas leak

Quote Originally Posted by fennsk View Post
    Our house was built in 1900 and fitted with gas lighting fixtures. All but one are capped now, but there are still gas lines running to almost every room. The one remaining fixture has a charming look to it, but we've never found a bulb for it, and rarely I get a whiff of gas as I walk by it.
    Also, my wife and I woke up at 2:00 this morning to the smell of gas in the bedroom. We turned off the gas to the whole house (luckily the weather warmed up just in time for this little crisis).
    About a year and a half ago we hired a plumber to cut off the gas to the live gas lighting fixture. Unfortunately he took it upon himself to cut off and cap the first gas line he could find that wasn't headed toward the kitchen, hot water heater, or furnace. He said all the pipes off the main gas line were confusing.
    So, with the background stated, here are my questions:
    Do you have any tips on picking out a plumber to cut off gas to all non-vital lines? Is there a spe******t outside of a plumber that I should use? Know anyone good in Pittsburgh?
    Should the gas fixture be viewed as a positive, whether the gas is alive or dead? Or should we just cap that like everything else?

Thank you very much
    I agree with Jack.

If it that confusing then perhaps the safest and simplist thing would be to pipe the gas line from the service directly to the existing appliances.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush