+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are jumper grounded outlets safe?

I've seen people run a jumper from the neutral terminal of an outlet to the ground terminal when working in older houses with only two wire systems and no separate ground available. I know it satisfies a tester to read that the outlet is properly grounded and even allows GFCI outlets to work. I also know that in many three wire systems the ground and neutral wires all go back to the same buss in the panel anyway. My normal practice has been to run a new ground wire at least to a cold water pipe or a rod in the ground depending on which is more convenient for the location. Have I been doing a lot of extra work for nothing? Is the jumper arrangement just as safe, and is it an approved (code) procedure?

Old Tom

Default Re: Are jumper grounded outlets safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
    Is the jumper arrangement just as safe, and is it an approved (code) procedure?

Old Tom
    NO, NO

I need a maximum of ten charachters to post but there really isnt anything else to add
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

What Lloyd said................

Both methods desribed are dangerous and far from code compliant.

Very little can be added to Lloyd's eloquent and definitive answer NO, NO.

As a side note ground has nothing to do with the function of a GFCI. The GFCI compares the current flow in the hot and neutral and trips if they don't match.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    As a side note ground has nothing to do with the function of a GFCI. The GFCI compares the current flow in the hot and neutral and trips if they don't match.[/COLOR]
    Jack
    right .. on the load side, thats what makes it ok to use a gfi where no egc is present, but that sticker doesnt really replace a ground. It really doesnt take much to pull a piece of thhn for an egc.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    NO, NO

I need a maximum of ten charachters to post but there really isnt anything else to add
    Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    What Lloyd said................

Both methods desribed are dangerous and far from code compliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Very little can be added to Lloyd's eloquent and definitive answer NO, NO.

As a side note ground has nothing to do with the function of a GFCI. The GFCI compares the current flow in the hot and neutral and trips if they don't match.
    Jack
    Ditto ..... Ditto ........ Ditto
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    right .. on the load side, thats what makes it ok to use a gfi where no egc is present, but that sticker doesnt really replace a ground. It really doesnt take much to pull a piece of thhn for an egc.
    Agree. I wasn't saying not to run a ground just correcting a statement made by the op "I know it satisfies a tester to read that the outlet is properly grounded and even allows GFCI outlets to work."
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
    I've seen people run a jumper from the neutral terminal of an outlet to the ground terminal when working in older houses with only two wire systems and no separate ground available. I know it satisfies a tester to read that the outlet is properly grounded and even allows GFCI outlets to work. I also know that in many three wire systems the ground and neutral wires all go back to the same buss in the panel anyway. My normal practice has been to run a new ground wire at least to a cold water pipe or a rod in the ground depending on which is more convenient for the location. Have I been doing a lot of extra work for nothing? Is the jumper arrangement just as safe, and is it an approved (code) procedure?

Old Tom
    It might satisfy a tester, but it should not satisfy an inspector.

Thanks everyone, you confirmed my suspicions. The thing that started me noticing this practice was when someone at a Home Depot sold a customer of mine some outlets he had wired jumpers onto for her. I'm just a general handy man, not a licensed electrician, so I wasn't sure.

Old Tom

It's called "The Orange Plague"

Jack