+ Reply to Thread

Default Old table with gouges in it and a corner cut off.

I have an old table that the corner was cut off and it has several scratches in it. I figured the only way to salvage it was to put the corner back on with glue and some wooden dowels. The problem is no matter how smooth I get the patch I can still see a line where the putty is. I put 2 coats of primer and it is still visible. I just figured I would put many coats of primer and then use that weathered crackle paint from valspar to hide the flaws in the wood. I was wondering if that would conceal the line. Can I keep priming it and eventually it will fade away? Or will the Crackle paint hide it? Or is it never gonna go away?

Default Re: Old table with gouges in it and a corner cut off.

If you are going to paint the table try taking a detail sander with a rounded sanding head on it, sand a smooth groove into the seam that you glued the corner on and then float it in with Durham's Rock Hard. When the water putty dries sand the top feathering in the putty. That may hide the patch pretty well.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by jscoma View Post
    If you are going to paint the table try taking a detail sander with a rounded sanding head on it, sand a smooth groove into the seam that you glued the corner on and then float it in with Durham's Rock Hard. When the water putty dries sand the top feathering in the putty. That may hide the patch pretty well.

JS
    How deep should the deepest part be an eight of an inch? And any reason why you recommend the Durhams stuff and not regular putty?

Just make it deep enough to collect the putty. Try to feather the edges out a little so the putty will transition with a feathered edge instead of a sharp transition. I suggest Durham's Rock Hard because it doesn't shrink much as it dries and it will feather out thin without lifting and chipping off of the surface.

Good Luck,

JS

Thanks you very much.

I spot primed it and so far so good. My next question is the legs have some detail in them and in the end I want them to have a smooth finish. Should I try to roll them? If so what size nap should I use? Should I use a brush. If I use a brush how do I do it without leaving the brush strokes visible? Do I use several thin coats?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    how big a chunk of the corner is cut off, if it has a fairly large lip you could trim back the lip all the way around then run the router around to make it look like something again instead of fiddling with wood fill and glue
    They don't have router bits that large! 4 inches

Quote Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
    I spot primed it and so far so good. My next question is the legs have some detail in them and in the end I want them to have a smooth finish. Should I try to roll them? If so what size nap should I use? Should I use a brush. If I use a brush how do I do it without leaving the brush strokes visible? Do I use several thin coats?
    Maybe try a foam brush. It's worked for me in a couple of similar situations. I'd test it on a small area first.
    -Daryl, learning how to keep up with an 80 year old house in PA

It turned out well. I used Durams putty and all looks good. Not great but above acceptable. I have painted the top and am happy. Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
    I have an old table that the corner was cut off and it has several scratches in it. I figured the only way to salvage it was to put the corner back on with glue and some wooden dowels...
    What someone could also do with a damaged table like this is cut the table in half (lengthwise, of course) and then affix the rough edge to a wall with L-brackets, etc, underneath.

This can look especially good under a window, and creates a nice, narrower writing table. Also good for hallways, where you have limited width, and want to use smaller (if any) furniture.

If the pieces do not have to be mobile, you can get a nice matching look by cutting one (undamaged) table in half and attaching it to wall as described above. This gives the look of a pair of matching tables, and they look especially good flanking some other piece. (There is a word for them, something like "luminier"? The two halves of a real table like that can be fit together to make a larger table.)
    Last edited by California_Cookie; 08-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.