+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for Bathroom Vent ideas

Hi All,

I have a cottage that is only 2 years old.

The builder, in his infinite wisdom, did not vent the bathroom or dryer vents to the outside. It's hard telling where the vent lines go. I'm guessing it blows towards the soffet vent, but it's just a guess. The space the vent is installed in is not accessible without removing part of the ceiling. I have 2 bathrooms are side-by-side, both on a weather-wall. The dryer vent is in the wall in the kitchen, and the pipe it boxed in, and goes straight up through the ceiling, and who knows from there. My concerns with both is the buildup of moisture, and the possibility of mold. And with the dryer, it's a pretty huge fire hazard.

I think i can re-route the dryer vent over the kitchen cabinets and out the wall there, but I think code requires the vent to be minimum of 3 feet from any doors or windows.

The million dollar question is this: Do I need to remove part of the ceiling to do the bathroom vents properly?

Thanks,

--Jim
    --Jim

A pretty good Handyman and Jack of All Trades. Hidden Content

Default Re: Looking for Bathroom Vent ideas

There should always be some sort of access to the attic space.

In your case it definately sounds as though you need to get up there to see what's going on with the exhaust vents.

Around here with new homes it has become common to have an access door on the exterior ..... say on a gable end. This way there is no issues with leaky interior hatches to the attic.
    If it's possible ... maybe this would work in your case ...... saves cutting open the dryall ceiling.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Looking for Bathroom Vent ideas

Hi Canuk, thanks. No access holes yet, but I am going to venture up there later today or tomorrow. I do have pictures taken during construction. There is some space I can cut an access hole in. It will be tight, but I think i can at least take care of the bathroom vents this way. Hopefully I can get over by the kitchen too. I'll post back and report my findings.

--Jim
    --Jim

A pretty good Handyman and Jack of All Trades. Hidden Content