+ Reply to Thread

Default Odd kraft paper material beneath paint/wallpaper on plaster walls

I'm stripping wallpaper in a house built in 1950 with Plaster walls, and the stuff consistently comes right off when I pull it. In many areas, though,it's leaving behind yellow-brown paper.

I assumed that was the backing of the bottom layer separating from the front, but then I started to notice pencil marks and annotations from the builders on the paper's surface (there are also annotations on the plaster surface behind the paper, sometimes in the same place). It looks almost like thin kraft paper (way too thin to be drywall cardboard) was applied to the plaster without (or with minimal) glue when the house was built.

I called up the painting contractor who had told me earlier "I hate to turn away work, but you don't need me for this," and he had no idea what it was. It's everywhere, including the ceilings.

Do any of you know what it is? Do I need to do anything special for removing it? Am I tempting fate priming and/or skimcoating over it if areas don't want to come off?

Default Re: Odd kraft paper material beneath paint/wallpaper on plaster walls

Jacbird,

It sounds like you are running across liner paper. Liners were used commonly back then, especially under finer wallpapers. Liners were often hung on the diagonal, or at least with the seams not aligned with the wallpaper seams. The liner should just come off like normal wallpaper, as it too was hung with water soluable paste. It should come right off with water. Plaster walls strip much easier than drywall normally.

Default Re: Odd kraft paper material beneath paint/wallpaper on plaster walls

Quote Originally Posted by jackbird View Post
    Am I tempting fate priming and/or skimcoating over it if areas don't want to come off?
    Yes, take the time to get this off. There is a risk of this layer failing if you add moisture of any kind (primers, paints, etc.)