+ Reply to Thread

Default No Power to Kitchen Island

We live in a house that is about 15 years old. A couple of weeks ago the power to kitchen island went out. The island has 3 outlets and a counter top Jenn-Aire stove. No work was being done in the house. I've checked the outlets with a digital multi-meter, there is no power. However I did not check between hot/neutral and ground, I will do that tonight when I get home. I can't find any circuit breaker that is popped, and I have reset all the ones marked "kitchen" anyway (the breakers are not well marked) but this didn't help. I put a circuit tracer on an outlet (not one designed for electrical use, one for telephone use - since there is no power I didn't figure it would hurt) but I could not find the signal at the breaker box.

There is a junction box inside the island with a GFCI outlet on top. The only connection to this outlet is for the stove. The other island outlets are are all wired together with wire caps and all connections seemed solid.

I am assuming the problem is a bad breaker, but I haven't been able to determine which breaker it is.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
    Last edited by BBP1; 10-19-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: No Power to Kitchen Island

OK, no power anywhere; hot-neutral, hot-ground, neutral-ground.

Based on your posts you may want to hire an electrician.

Check all the gfis see if one is tripped.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

It's possible that the outlets are wired of a GFI someplace else in the kitchen. Do as Lloyd said and check all the GFIs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well, the power is back ON to the island! I'm not exactly sure what I did.

I looked for another GFI in the kitchen, found one, but it wasn't tripped. The toaster oven plugged into it was displaying the current time.

I ended back up under the island looking at that junction box again. Out of frustration I tripped and reset the GFI there several times, it is stiff and probably has dust in it as it is mounted face up. That night I was going to cook something, I automatically reached for the knob, then remembered it hadn't been working, I turned the knob anyway just to check. Lo and behold it the lighter sparked and the burner lit. I got out my multimeter and all the outlets had power again. So it's fixed.

My question; is it possible the outlets are hardwired into the GFI outlet?

The stove top is plugged into a GFI outlet, but nothing else is.It had appeared to me that the outlets and the GFI were wired to the power coming into the box. But apparently I was mistaken. My wife unplugged something from one of the island outlets the other day, and told me "it made a funny noise". I pulled the outlet out and looked at it, but it looked fine (aside from sloppy/lazy installation). I'm now guessing the somehow tripped the GFI.

Thanks for everyone who replied. I was trying to avoid hiring an electrician, and very glad now that I didn't.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BBP1 View Post
    Well, the power is back ON to the island! I'm not exactly sure what I did.

I looked for another GFI in the kitchen, found one, but it wasn't tripped. The toaster oven plugged into it was displaying the current time.

I ended back up under the island looking at that junction box again. Out of frustration I tripped and reset the GFI there several times, it is stiff and probably has dust in it as it is mounted face up. That night I was going to cook something, I automatically reached for the knob, then remembered it hadn't been working, I turned the knob anyway just to check. Lo and behold it the lighter sparked and the burner lit. I got out my multimeter and all the outlets had power again. So it's fixed.

My question; is it possible the outlets are hardwired into the GFI outlet?

The stove top is plugged into a GFI outlet, but nothing else is.It had appeared to me that the outlets and the GFI were wired to the power coming into the box. But apparently I was mistaken. My wife unplugged something from one of the island outlets the other day, and told me "it made a funny noise". I pulled the outlet out and looked at it, but it looked fine (aside from sloppy/lazy installation). I'm now guessing the somehow tripped the GFI.

Thanks for everyone who replied. I was trying to avoid hiring an electrician, and very glad now that I didn't.

Brian
    gfi receptacles shouldnt be face up (unless its rated for such but i never seen one that was) and cook tops shouldnt be protected by a gfi the fact that it came back on by itself now means you have a better reason to call an electrician. Working doesnt mean its right, it only means its on.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content