+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Front Door

Default New Front Door

I am trying to replace my front door with a new pre-hung door. I had reservations about how this would work because the existing threshold had a sloped 2X6 under it. I also didn't know how I was going to transition from the tile floor to the new threshold. When I pulled out the old threshold, I found the tile and concrete were not even and will have to be covered (see attached photo). When I took out the frame and the 2X6, there was 2 1/2"-3" difference between the top of the tile and concrete foundation. The threshold on the new door is only 1 1/2". What do I use to build up the foundation for the door to set on and how do I cover the uneven edge in the tile and concrete?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4593.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	2855  
    Last edited by jodyjw; 10-18-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Default Re: New Front Door

Your picture doesn't show much detail, but I would guess you will need to install a new PT 2 X 6 caulked in place and leveled.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack. Sorry about the picture. I didn't think to take a picture when I had the frame out. I thought about putting a 2X6 on the bottom, but I was afraid of how it would look. I can't use the door I bought as is anyway because it's only a 4 9/16" jam and the wall is 6" wide. So I guess I will go looking again.

Thanks again,

Jody

Jody,
    You can use the 4 9/16 door jamb, you just need to use some 1 X to add a jamb extension.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Your picture doesn't show much detail, but I would guess you will need to install a new PT 2 X 6 caulked in place and leveled.
    Jack
    My advice exactly!

Nice sharing i am agreed with you thanks for your sharing.