+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating from the Outside

I live in Florida and I am removing the original outside siding to replace with cement fiber board on my 1910 house. There isn't any plywood or clapboards under the siding and I can see the drywall/plaster and limited insulation when I remove the siding. Should I install kraft faced or plain insulation from the outside? If I use the kraft/paper faced, how will I staple it since I am working from the rear? Will the paper be a sufficient vapor barrier for the high heat and humidity in Florida? Thank you.

Default Re: Insulating from the Outside

i recommend you have someone come spray open cell foam insulation
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Open foam is not a cost effective or practical method on this project. I am doing it section by section on this house....not stripping it of all the exterior siding at once....that would be structurally impossible Any other ideas to my original question Thanks

You could use foam board that is cut to fit snugly.

Kraft backed the fits snugly and Tyvek house wrap. But kraft backed is subject to mold growth in moist climates
    Or you might check the Johns Manville's http://www.jmhomeowner.com/products/...t=ComfortTherm or
    http://www.jmhomeowner.com/products/...roduct=MRFaced
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the suggestions. I never considered the foam boards. Would they have adequate R-value compared to fiberglass?

Yep .... depending on the type they can provide ~ R 7.2 per inch where as fiberglass is ~ 3.5 per inch.

If you are cutting them to fit into the stud bays use a can of spray foam and apply foam along the perimeter edges ( like caulking ) to ensure a tight seal.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush