+ Reply to Thread

Default cutting a non-load bearing wall in 1/2 and making a breakfast bar with counter

I have home improvement skills, but I have never done this before. Demo shouldn't be a problem, I know to check for wires and such before demo. Support in the wall and finishing skills is what I do not have. Should I place counter where bar stools can be used on both sides or just kitchen? Kitchen is small. 2,000 square ft. bi-level w/ split foyer. Top right is lr/dr, with kitchen-dining room divided by the wall I want to cut in 1/2 and make a breakfast bar.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam Miller

Default Re: cutting a non-load bearing wall in 1/2 and making a breakfast bar with counter

Might I suggest you make it like a table with one end mounted to the wall and legs on the other end. Open underneath so the stools can be slide under the table when not in use and can be pulled out on either side when needed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: cutting a non-load bearing wall in 1/2 and making a breakfast bar with counter

If you are going to cut a wall down to a half height wall a big concern is rigidity. Once the wall is no longer fastened to the ceiling, it will become wobbly. To remedy this box in the floor joists at the end of the wall and drop 2 end studs through the floor bolted to the floor system support you just created. If the wall is longer than 6' I usually drop studs through the floor every 4' and support them in the same way.

Determining what type of seating you want is also critical to wall height. A dropped island is usually around 26" to 28" to the top of the wall (I usually measure the customers kitchen or dining table and determine wall height from that), a top level with the base cabinetry is usually 34.5" to the top of the wall and other heights are determined by bar stool height.

If your top cantilevers the wall (which it will on a bar area) make sure you get a top with solid build-up if using a laminate or have the installer for the granite, solid surface, etc. specify knee brackets and spacing requirements. A pretty slick way to support a top is to bolt a 1/8" steel member to the top of a wall and relive the underside of the top to accept the support without allowing it to show on the thickness. It keeps you from having to use knee brackets.

JS