We're planning for a major remodel. We have 2 separate living areas (2 kitchens...). We're redoing both kitchens, 2-4 baths, replacing some windows and replacing all the flooring in the house (most removing carpet for hardwoods, then tile work in baths, kitchen, entry... I'm acting as my own contractor working with a small contractor (just him and another)and finding my own subs for floors, windows, probably using his for electrical, plumbing, drywall... I want to do demolition myself (rip up carpets, remove cabinets and old tile). Additionally we need to improve our insulation (crawlspace floors +/- walls)and replace the exterior siding. My plan is to finish the lesser half of the house first (we call it the apartment) which is currently vacant and then move all our stuff over there for the other half of the remodel which is more involved. The apartment would involve hardwoods, kitchen cabinets/countertop, bathroom remodel. Here's my plan: remove carpet, tile floors, remove old countertop and cabinets. Do any painting and wall work we choose to do (replacing switches, receptacles, fireplace surround). Have hardwoods installed and 1 coat finish, tile work and bathroom finishing, install kitchen cabinets and countertop (move appliances back in). Finally recoat the hardwoods and done. How's the order sound? Does it make sense? Meanwhile windows could be installed in the other half of the house. What about crawlspace insulation? Should we do that last after any crawlspace "crawling" has been done?
Appreciate all advice and opinions.