+ Reply to Thread

Default Expansion Space for Hardwood Floor

I plan to have 3/4 by 2-1/4 hardwood floor installed in my kitchen. Northeast location, AC in July and August months.

One contractor uses quarter round molding all along edges. Second contractor says he never uses qtr round and scribes final board for close fit. Claims he has never had a problem with expansion.

I will refit the baseboard molding, so there is some expansion room. But, there are a few places where two opposing cabinet bases will capture the wood.

Should I be worried about this approach? His quote seems fair and reasonable and he has been in business 15 years. I have chosen Somerset hardwood.

Thanks for your comments.

Oldtech

Default Re: Expansion Space for Hardwood Floor

End to end expansion and contraction is usually minimal but I always leave about " on each side. All solid woods expand and contract with humidity.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the flooring is real wood there wont be much expansion or contraction. 3/4 round trim was used quite often years ago. Now days shoe molding is used more than 3/4 rd. Some people like either one, some dont. I always run shoe molding the job looks more like a pro did it. I say that because Ive been in the trades a long time seen it all. Ive seen people install the base shoe upside down also. Now thats ugly in my book,why bother.
    I think different techniques are used in different states. If you mention shoe molding or 3/4 rd trim in Florida,most look at you like your nuts, They think the molding is to hide bad cuts.
    Do you have cermic tile in your bathroms, if so is there shoe molding or 34/ rd installed there?
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I say that because Ive been in the trades a long time seen it all.
    I've been in the trade a long time too, and it never ceases to amaze me what I find that others have done before me, both pro's and DIY's alike.

I'm not a fan of shoe or quarter round either, I prefer to remove the baseboards and reinstall them over the flooring, as they should be. This doesn't always happen, of course, due to time and expense and sometimes job site limitations.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've been in the trade a long time too, and it never ceases to amaze me what I find that others have done before me, both pro's and DIY's alike.

I'm not a fan of shoe or quarter round either, I prefer to remove the baseboards and reinstall them over the flooring, as they should be. This doesn't always happen, of course, due to time and expense and sometimes job site limitations.
    Yep I agree spruce,you never no what your going to run into. Ive seen crown molding installed upside down may times. Most would never no its reversed.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for all the comments.

The kitchen where the hardwood is to be installed has the sink counter along one wall, and open wall on the other side. Both sides have some runs of baseboard heat.

I plan to remove the baseboard trim and then replace it on the open wall. This is where any expansion space could exist. The floor boards will go a little way under the baseboard runs so there will be some expansion space there as well.

There is a fixed cabinet about 24 in wide on the open wall that is opposite the fixed base of the sink counter. If the floor boards are cut to fit tight to these kick spaces then this is where expansion would be limited.

As GIZMO pointed out, here in New England a lot of folks don't like qtr round or shoe molding.

Oldtech