+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is it just me....

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Women love old sashes painted up with a scene on them.
    Give them away to someone.Remember there more than likely lead paint on them.
    Figures you'd assume I'm a MAN

Canvas is for painting pretty pictures....

As far as lead paint...I don't plan on eating it.
    Last edited by BungalowMo; 10-16-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

"Figures you'd assume I'm a MAN"

I have to admit that I made that assumption too. My apologies. I should have mentioned that I was really impressed with your restoration of that window. That must be a pretty rewarding feeling when you have one finished. Great job!

I've been pretty fortunate. All of the previous owners of my schoolhouse/home have obviously used the storm windows every season. All of the windows are in great shape, so I haven't had to learn how to reglaze (yet). Is it a difficult process to learn? Are there a lot of specific tools you need?

First off where do you see I thought you were a man. Did any thing in my post indicate you were a man..I dont think so go back and read it. I said women love the old sashes with paintings on the glass.you can go into most boutique shop and find them. My wife has them also I dont care if there here or not if it makes her happy. Here mother bought all the daughters a few of them.

or does no one here want to save the "old" of their old homes.

Your statement about saving the old in a home was a pretty broad question. Most older homes were never maintained. it takes alot of time and money to bring the older homes up to par. Most dont have the time or money to refurbish old windows. They have familys to raise and jobs. If you want to refurbish your older house,,have at it. Thats your choice,I love the old houses. I just dont want to deal with all the time it takes to do it.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

It IS rewarding. And it's not that difficult. Removal of all the parts is kind of like a puzzle, but you can always refer to another window if you forget how it all goes back together.

Patience, Sarco putty, heat gun & putty knife are the only tools you need. (likely sash cord or chain while you're at it) A mix of boiled linseed oil & turpentine brushed on the clean wood will rejuvenate the oils in the wood & keep the oils in the putty from getting sucked out.

Prime & paint or shellac as you please.

Oh...btw...thanks for the props!!

"Most dont have the time or money to refurbish old windows."

Seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to refurbish than replace.

Maybe some don't have the time, but that is unsubstantiated to say "most".

Your use of "women like the painted windows" was similar to my comment above.

I do think it is realistic to say that "most" don't have the money, especially these days, to spend on inferior products that won't stand the test of time. Unless of course you plan on moving & then all those inferior upgrades are left for the next owner to deal with.

I'm done here. There is no sense in continuing this topic, but when it's all said & done...the name of this site should be changes, since there will be nothing left of your old house but a shell....covered in aluminum siding, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    "Most dont have the time or money to refurbish old windows."

Seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to refurbish than replace.
    Your right it would be cheaper to refurbish than replace. Most dont have the time or knowledge to do it. Why do you think the windows and doors are in bad shape anyway. Because the previous owners either didnt have the time,money or no how to accomplish the project.
    I guess I should use all the old antique tools I purchased over the years to do the work,,,,right. Do you own any modern tools ??
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Do you own any modern tools ??

You know, today was the first time I decided to express my opinion here.
    I don't think that I need to be treated like this. Saving part of a house's character should not be equated to unheated outhouses, driving model T Fords, or bathing in a tub in the middle of the kitchen floor. Showing respect for existing elements in a house that can be saved, should not be made to appear like a bad idea on a website called "This Old House".

Yes, I do own modern tools. Yes, I bought an old house because I like old houses. Yes I do have indoor plumbing. Yes, I go ******, read what I can to educate myself, maybe get some good ideas. Yes, I have my own opinions.

No, I don't usually make comments that are going to offend anyone. No, I don't believe that absolutely everything that is old is better. No, I don't believe that everything that is old is better to be replaced rather than restored.

No, I will not return to this forum/discussion group again.
    Sorry if I offended anyone by deciding to share my opinions in the two hours I took part in discussions here.

Personally I find amusing the references that if one has an old house they also need to have an outhouse in the back like there is no inbetween

There were architects back in the day and their job was to design a house so everything was proportionate and flowed when changes are made the balance is interrupted.

Look at two old homes side by side one with replacement vinyl windows and one with original windows,same as the siding and trim work. there is a big difference in the overall look when one changes the original design.

It costs $110 per sq ft to build new verses $145 per sq ft to remodel why would somebody want to go through the nightmare of buying a old house and making it look like a new one according to currant fads when they can just build a new house?

Nothing wrong with updating to currant standards but to destroy the charter and warmth that was originally the intent of the builder just so one can say I have an old house,well to me that is just a shallow minded person

Funny how a website that calls itself This Old House is geared towards replacing everything with new,maybe should be called This Old Facade.

Old School,
    I think you did a fantastic job and I like the look. Keep up the good work. Old windows can also be updated with double or triple pane glass if storms are not available. In redoing my home I even had to have custom moldings made to match the original to undo some of the updates.

Unfortunately, most remodels are done by contractors for home owners who don't want to pay for restoration or by home owners that don't want to learn the necessary crafts to restore.

There was no insults intended however your original post was overly broad and misconstrued by myself and others. I'm sure even you used modern glazing, modern paint products, and perhaps even power tools none of which was available 100 years ago.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb