+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is it just me....

Thank you JLMcDaniel...those were actually my sash posted there, but yes, for the first set, I thought I did a pretty good job too.

And yes, I do have modern tools & indoor plumbing too! I am taking my time and learning as I go along. But I have a soft place in my heart for these old homes. Once they are gone... that's it. And I will also admit that windows are a touchy subject with me. When you have old growth hardwood, that is as sturdy as it gets (ok, except for maybe titanium & the like) but the original sash with the neat old wavy glass...glass is not made that way any more.

Besides, my place and all the quirks & characteristics in it are comforting to me. I haven't even painted inside after 2.5 years until I can either learn how or find a good plaster pro.

And if all goes as planned, I will begin making my own wooden storm windows this winter. I got my table saw, router, several nice wood chisel sets & need to find a good template to go by. There are several ways I can do it, so I'll find one that works for me.

I just figure that it's fun, it's right for this place & I have all the time in the world to do it. I don't plan on ever leaving & Lord willing, I'll never have to. Would you?

My little 1/2 acre of heaven
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

BungalowMo,
    I like your porch but your neighbor is a little close for me.
    Here's mine

I have about 120 acres with almost 70 acres of woods. When we bought the place a little over 20 years ago I was advised to bulldoze and build new. You can get a peek at some of the inside work here http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/JLMCDANIEL/

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Cute house must admit.

What are your utility bills like in the winter? I may have missed it but where are you located?

Im totally pro "save the old" whenever practical. I tend to frequent teh Old House Journal forum where there is a bit more of that there. Im restoring an 1889 Quee Anne that has quite a history in our community. It was practically crack house quality when we bought it.

Here just a shot of teh outside the day we bought it. It was a CRACKHOUSE I tell you! Actually...it had been a FRAT house!!

Here is a photo of it in 1889. Then a photo of the progress this summer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here we are as of November 4. Still a LONG way to go but there are over a dozen restorations on the house if you know where to look. Go ahead and compare it to teh crackhouse. I did almost teh entire porch myself. based on a photo from about 1889. I also did teh shingled awning. Hand bent each one.

I love old houses they make me very happy.
    Last edited by HellNY; 11-06-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: a picture was missing

What do you spend to heat that monster?

Monster.. yes that comes to mind.

I spent a lot on closed cell spray foam so we wont be killed this winter. The whole house. All exterior walls (1st and 2nd floor) and the ceiling on the 2nd floor. The third floor is a "tudor ballroom" (If you can imagine such a thing). We basically dont use it in the winter.

The fraternity had destroyed most of teh walls. Literally. All the savable mouldings will be replaced when done. I am remilling some of the original mouldings because they are in such bad shape.
    Last edited by HellNY; 11-06-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HellNY View Post
    Monster.. yes that comes to mind.

I spent a lot on closed cell spray foam so we wont be killed this winter. The whole house. All exterior walls (1st and 2nd floor) and the ceiling on the 2nd floor. The third floor is a "tudor ballroom" (If you can imagine such a thing). We basically dont use it in the winter.

The fraternity had destroyed most of teh walls. Literally. All the savable mouldings will be replaced when done. I am remilling some of the original mouldings because they are in such bad shape.
    Nice job on that porch. Looks like the fire place/chimney on the right was added later?
    Last edited by NEC; 11-07-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Everything to the right of the porch was added around cs. 1920. To me, it really detracts from teh orginal house. It made it 33% larger but made it look like a linebacker.

There is still an enormous amount of millwork that has to go back onto teh exterior that was ripped off in the early 20th century because of the rejection of all things victorian. When that goes back on, it will help a lot. But I also will try to figure out a way to use color to let the original part of the house project forward and teh 1920s addition to recede.

If I had my way, I would push that entire "enclosed porch" on teh right all the way back so it was in line the the way the house jogs back on the 2nd floor. I would have the porch roof jog back over it too. That way I coulld get better projection of the original house.
    Last edited by HellNY; 11-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Your windows are beautiful. However, there is no way that they are as energy efficient(even with storm windows on the outside) as the newer replacement windows. You can get windows that look like the originals but are made with energy efficient materials and techniques. The old three over one configuration like yours was recently done in a rehab project in my locality and those windows have a u/factor of .35. The windows are brand new but were required by the Historical Commission to preserve the original look. I assure you they will outlast their predecessors by a long shot, all the while conserving energy. The downside was the cost, as they had to be special ordered and maufactured. The old windows have the couterweight "slots" that you can't insulate and thereby add to the old window's inefficiency. IMO restoration and reclamation go hand in hand. Those old windows can be safely preserved and repurposed as a previous poster indicated. "SAFELY" preserved being the operative wording here due to the fact that the old windows are sure to have a layer or two of lead based paint on them. BTW ,you don't have to eat the paint to injest lead. Sanding, scraping and just wear along the sash has freed enough lead to create a toxic environment for children as well as adults.
    Last edited by HowardH; 01-31-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add

HowardH...say what you want, but I have yet to see ANY supporting documentation that vinyl crap replacements are better.

Show me those vinyls in 100 years! Oh, what's that? They've been replaced?? Thought so.

Save it....

*I cannot imagine ANY Historical commission giving a nod to replacements. They are in place to PRESERVE the historical features...which replacements are NOT.
    Last edited by BungalowMo; 02-01-2010 at 04:56 AM.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content