+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Is it just me....

...or does no one here want to save the "old" of their old homes.

In the short time I have been here, all I keep reading about is resins & plastics & vinyl windows....

I thought this was supposed to be "This OLD House".

There is a lot to be said for the way things were made 100+ years ago. It's just not being said here.

What a shame.....
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

Default Re: Is it just me....

I think it is a balance. The biggest being wasted energy in old homes: no insulation and lousy doors and windows. Deforestation is another issue as well as new products that are rot and insect resistant.

I like the old casings and replicated or restored moldings but how far back do you want to go? Heating your home with wood or coal? Cooking with wood or coal? I lived through that life style several years ago and my one luxury was an electric water heater. Folks “back then” did not have that luxury. I appreciated that one luxury more than any other at the time.

It has made me very appreciative of a modern and well insulated home with no drafts and low utility bills.

We do not drive Model T’s anymore and I think the same can be applied to where we live.

Everything becomes dead including ourselves. I think replacement and move on is in order.

Nec, you forgot about the un-heated Out House. How about drawing your own water from the well.
    All the old houses were great at one time,Who wants to deal with lead paint,and asbetos...not me I want it gone.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    All the old houses were great at one time,Who wants to deal with lead paint,and asbetos...not me I want it gone.
    So why not just buy a new house?

Why not gut and referbish an old one?

I guess it is just me.....

I think the one thing you are missing is that there can be just as much craftsmanship in using new materials and tools. Why hand saw when you can use a power saw takes less time and less effort but the board is still cut in half. Complete restoration works well for a museum but who wants to live in a museum?

Having lived in a house with kerosene space heaters, wood burning fire places, wood burning cook stove, outside plumbing, and taking a bath in a wash tube with water heated on the cook stove does not seem all that romantic to me. Cutting and chopping enough wood to get through the winter isn't as easy as turning on heat with a thermostat. Going to an outhouse when it's 20 below or 100 in the shade is no fun either. And if you really want some fun try plowing with a horse drawn plow. Or do you want to draw the line at say 1950 or 1960?

No, mixing old with new but still maintaining craftsmanship and preserving the appearance of old is a much better way to live.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm not suggesting going back to outhouses & one room log houses!

The word "balance" was mentioned, but the scales are certainly tipping towards the plastic.

What I am talking about...is the mentality that somethiong like vinyl windows is a smart idea instead of learning the art of reglazing. They will end up in a landfill in under 20 years, but that is supposed to be ok!

There is absolutely no data that proves that is more energy efficient, and HOW many years will it take to recoup the 20k spent on it??

I took the time to transform this:

Into this:

Now tell me this was a BAD idea, or doesn't function correctly! My window weights are rehung & I only need the stops put back in this photo. This is only one of almost 3 I've restored. They will still be here & functioning long after I'm gone.

Theres plenty of data about the energy savings difference between both kinds of windows.
    http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/windows.html

Your thinking must come from articles like the one below.
    http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...97/970908.html

You could give the old window sashes away. I no artist love to get them. They paint pictures on the glass and sell them is specialty shops. Women love old sashes painted up with a scene on them.
    Give them away to someone.Remember there more than likely lead paint on them.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

"You could give the old window sashes away. I no artist love to get them. They paint pictures on the glass and sell them is specialty shops. Women love old sashes painted up with a scene on them."

***, you really don't have a clue!

I've been passively reading posts here for months, but I have to chime in on this!

You'd suggest that I replace all of the windows in my 126 year old schoolhouse? The windows are in great shape, and with storm windows do just fine keeping the house warm and draft free during cold Canadian winters. If I took your advice, I'd be trashing perfectly good windows, which have lasted over a century, and replace them with windows of lesser quality that I can guarantee would never come close to lasting as long as the originals. Yes, it does take time to put in storm windows every autumn. However, the hour and a half I spend each year putting in properly fitting storm windows is not a great deal of time, and I am proud to have the original windows in my home.

To suggest that keeping original windows is equal to not having indoor plumbing is absolutely insane!

I have to stop writing now before I say something I'll regret.