SO I have a bit of a big problem with a house I plan to remodel. The entire house smells of heating oil. The two oil tanks are in a "closet" in the back room, mud room area. The concrete just outside the doors appears to be stained with oil, as well as the concrete under the tanks. There was a leak in the line running between the two tanks that the previous owners put cans under; the leak as since been fixed but that didn't fix the smell, obviously. The smell is pretty strong and annoying throughout the house. I don't really wanna start on the remodeling until this issue is taken care of, don't want the smell stuck in new stuff!! Earlier in the year I had to buy some oil and the oil guy looked at the tanks and didn't express much concern other than that they are old, nor did the boiler repair guy. The boiler is basically new so there's no problems there. The problem is I don't know how to get rid of the smell. I've so far been thinking that I need to remove the tanks and tear out that whole back room area and have toyed with the idea of converting the boiler to propane, but that seems extreme. I'm at a loss here because I've been needing to get a move on with this place but I don't know how to get rid of the oil smell short of switching over to propane and tearing off the back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks