+ Reply to Thread

Default Cast Iron Lines??

I have main sewer line that I guess is rotted out? It is cast iron. The house is pier and beam with a slab addition. The line runs under the addition. The plumber ran video on the sewage line and wants to replace it. He also wants to replace casr iron branch(drop) lines that connect to the main line without having looked at them. The house is 70 years old and says the age is what justifies the change? Does this make sense and what kind of cost does this look like?

Default Re: Cast Iron Lines??

I hate to tell you to get a 2nd opinion for another plumber, knowing what it costs to take a video.

But why did you originally call him???

Are the underground sewer lines blocked up/collapsed???

Did he show you the video on a replay???

In most cases the cast iron lines end when they go thru the slab or foundation.

From there in most cases in houses of that vintage, the lines change to 5" vitrified clay all the way out to the city main in the street.

If the lines have been opened & are working now, I would get another estimate if you feel his quote to make the repairs is too high.

Unless the visible cast iron sections have cracks and are leaking, there is no need to replace them.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 10-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Default Re: Cast Iron Lines??

Ok. With an estimate over $20,000 I went and watched the video myself. The line that runs from the washout to underneath the house is terracota not cast iron. The cast iron is above ground and drops into the terracota line with other terracota branches feeding into line. The line has several cracks but is functioning. The video was ordered as a result of a home inspection. The toilets were flushing slow but I feel that is more a result of the water being off for a year. The plumber wants to replace all terracota lines underground? The crawl space is rather low. Should I wait untill I start having major problems. I feel this may be 5 months or 5 years? Whats your thoughts.