+ Reply to Thread

Default Old paint peeling off walls

HELP! I am prepping my walls to paint. I have stripped the border and am currently sanding to smooth the last adhesive off and anything else before I paint. The walls are in my bathroom which is small & has no vent system. My problem is that the old paint is peeling off the walls as I am sanding like dried school glue on your hands. Do I keep on sanding? Do I peel the old paint off as it bubbles up and comes off the walls? It is not taking the primer with it thankfully. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Thumbs up Re: Old paint peeling off walls

hi julie sanding does not take all off the glue off Vinegar does. the heat from the sander could make it sticky. use vinegar and water on rags untill you fingers drag on the wall surface. If it is slippery there's more glue. as for the problem of peeling paint it all has to come off. nothing will stick to it and all of your work will fall off in the floor. sc**** off the loose paint, fill the indentations with dry wall mud using a broad knife. it shrinks so you might have to do it more than one coat. a product named Durabond 90 doesnt shrink too much.It's a bag of powder that you mix with water. Mix in small batches as it sets up fast before you can use it all.When totally dry use a smooth wet sponge to wet sand-- no dust to get in the computer and frig