+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shower quickly gets cold

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some advice. My 50 year old, two handle faucet in my shower will run hot water for a few minutes and then go lukewarm. It happens with only the hot water is on and the cold is off. I have plenty of hot water at every other faucet in the house, including the bathroom sink which is about 4 feet away so I'm sure it's not the hot water tank. We can take long hot showers in our other bathroom with losing temperature. I recently replaced both the hot and cold stems but this only has seemed to accelerate the time at which I lose temperature. Anyone have any thoughts?

Default Re: shower quickly gets cold

please give name of faucet or if you do not have that a photo. there are faucets such as crane dial ease that when new and full of grease will close by them selves. What i have done in the past is to remove alot of lub from the stems. this seems to do the trick

bill,

This is a 50 year old faucet. Probably has no grease.

Bill, there isn't any grease inside of it. Two handles and a pull on the tub fill to switch to shower. That's all to it.

You could have a situation where the cold and hot lines leading to the shower faucet are mixed or crossed.

Not knowing your pipes' routing, it's hard to say where to look: could be behind the faucet or somewhere else.

Is this an old problem or only since you replaced the stems?

What kind of pipes do you have?

What is your hot water source? Sounds like you may have a hot water coil in your boiler.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You could have a situation where the cold and hot lines leading to the shower faucet are mixed or crossed.

Not knowing your pipes' routing, it's hard to say where to look: could be behind the faucet or somewhere else.

Is this an old problem or only since you replaced the stems?

What kind of pipes do you have?
    I haven't opened the wall up,yet. Hoping to avoid that but that looks like that's going to happen. Copper plumbing and this has been an ongoing problem since before replacing the stems. I changed the stems due to one was leaking. Since the repair I run out of hot water quicker.

How would a the hot and cold lines get mixed or crossed when only one faucet is one? Blockage in the line?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    What is your hot water source? Sounds like you may have a hot water coil in your boiler.
    Natural gas. Tank is 6 years old. I flushed out and still have issues. There is plenty of hot water at every other faucet in the house so I know it's working.

At 6 years old your water heater may have rust. It could be clean too, we just don't know. Rust particles can resemble clots in blood vessels. What puzzles me is the fact that all other hot outlets are perfectly fine. This could hint a blockage? a mini blockage? a cross in the pipes?

Where are your pipes? attic, under slab?

At this point try calling local plumbers who will be willing to investigate, because there is nothing we can do from our computer desk.

I've seen hot and cold pipes crossed in walls and under sinks, since hot copper and cold copper look the same to a plumber who's not alert. At least PEX has blue and red tubes.

I'm pretty sure at this point I need a plumber to come out. I opened the wall up last night and nothing is crossed. I completely stumped on this and I need to get this tub working right. Thanks for everyone's help