+ Reply to Thread

Question Fiberglass Decking

I am a somewhat handy person in doing DIY projects but I think I tackled a project a little beyond my scope / talent. I have a house along the east coast and I am replacing a deck over an enclosed porch. It is a duplex apt. and the second floor has a deck over the 1st floor enclosed porch. I ripped up the old decking material - 2x6's covered with rolled roofing and relaced the sub-floor with 3/4" soild core plywood. I had plans to use fiberglass mat with epoxy and resin to cover the plywood. I contacted a marine boat builder for supplies - close to $1000 for a 8'x 20' deck. To say things went south is an under statement. No problems with the decking but when I got involved with the fiberglassing it was a new story. Epoxy stared to harden, etc etc. Does anyone have success stories related to large fiberglassing projects involving decks?

Many thanks
    Pat

Wink Re: Fiberglass Decking

A very typical fiberglassing story. I am a new reader to this web sight. The story you describe sounds very familiar. I am a professional fiberglass decking installer. Your application is a good choice and you had the right idea. With just a little more knowledge you may have had a little more success. Fiberglass decking has been used along the Jersey shore for many years, with very good results. In most cases a professional with many years of experience would be best. look in the phone book. Or look under fiberglass fabrication. Look for fiberglassdecking or roofdecking fiberglass. Also on the web. My company name Polymite Koatings. web sight polymite.com Email polymite@opt******.net

Default Re: Fiberglass Decking

Like you, I replaced a balcony recently and was thinking about fiberglassing, but a friend of mine who builds boats for a living talked me out of it. One of the problems is that epoxy is not at all tolerant to UV radiation and a deck in bright sunlight would eventually degrade. The other problem, as you discovered, is that fiberglassing is not for the inexperienced. He said that he probably wouldn't go beyond doing seams and edges with fiberglass on a deck, prior to covering with something else.

I eventually went with GacoDeck--a roll-on acrylic membrane. Easy to apply, with a non-skid surface. Not terribly expensive--about $250 for 100 square feet.

Default Re: Fiberglass Decking

I eventually went with GacoDeck--a roll-on acrylic membrane. Easy to apply, with a non-skid surface. Not terribly expensive--about $250 for 100 square feet.[/QUOTE]

Hi, we are located in Western Mass. Can you tell me where we can purchase this GacoDeck. We looked at the website and it looks like a perfect fit for our application. Thanks for your help.