+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Painting Estimate

Does anyone know (approximately) how much it would cost to paint the exterior of a 1,500 square foot house in on the southside of Virginia? With gable roofs and some height to it, I don't think I can handle it on my own and am wondering what a contractor might charge.

It's old wood siding with several layers of old paint, so there would definitely be a good bit of prep work going into it. I'm not looking for anything precise--just something in the ballpark.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Default Re: Exterior Painting Estimate

The only way to know what the going rate is for your area is to get several bids. Most contractors give free estimates.
    You will want to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. State what you want done and what the contractor proposes. Does he intend a full prime coat or a spot prime and paint? What materials will he use. Insist that he state exactly what product he intends to use, not just the manufacturer. All the major paint makers make good, better best. Call your local paint store to confirm what quality of paint he intends to use.

Depending on the condition of your home and how long you intend to live there, you might want to get bids on aluminum, vinyl or composite re-siding. A home with a history of peeling to bare wood will probably continue to peel regardless of what the painter does. The painter only treats the symptoms. If a house has moisture problems, the problems must be addressed first.

Painting is very labor intensive. The cost of a couple good paint jobs is probably not far off the cost of re-siding. More than once I recommended such to a prospective customer.

Default Re: Exterior Painting Estimate

For a 1500 square foot house it will probably cost around $3000 to do the home. This of course depends on the prep work on the home.

Come to FreePaintingBids.com for all your interior and exterior house painting needs.