+ Reply to Thread

Question How do I remove drywall installed over original lath and plaster walls?

HELP
    We just bought a 1934 Spanish Revival that the "flipping" last owner veneered drywall over the hallway lath and plaster walls. Thankfully that's the only area affected - the rest of the original walls and ceilings weren't touched (and are just fine!)
    We're restoring the home, and plan to remove the drywall. Anyone out there done this without inflicting heavy damage to the plaster beneath? If so, how; and what tools did you use?
    Thanks!
    Elena and Jim

Default Re: How do I remove drywall installed over original lath and plaster walls?

If you're lucky, the drywall was installed without glue and the original plaster is relatively intact. Odds are, the plaster has quite a bit of damage which is why the drywall was put up in the first place. You should expect to have to completely replace the plaster behind the drywall.

As to removal, a hammer and flat bar. Get under the edge somewhere or make a hole and work your way out from there. This will be a dusty mess, so wear eye protection and a good dust mask.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!