+ Reply to Thread

Default ISO Recommendation for Attic Stairs

Do any of you experts out there have a recommendation or suggestion for a solution to my attic "problem?"

My existing attic door is little more than a roughly 2' x 2' piece of painted plywood in the ceiling at the end of a hall. I'd like to replace it because it is a bit of a pain to have to go get a stepladder every time I need to get into the attic -- and perhaps a little unnerving to climb up to the top step of the ladder. This part of the house was built in the early 60s, so the door probably leaks

Unfortunately, the hall runs perpendicular to the ceiling joists, so the typical folding ladder at my local home store won't work -- at least not without a major framing job. Are there other types of ladders that would fit within the existing opening?

Default Re: ISO Recommendation for Attic Stairs

To answer my own question, I found some telescopic attic stairs on the Internet, though I am not sure I like how the door (not included) will look.

I watched Tom Silva's video on installing "normal" attic stairs. It seemed easy enough, but the joists in that house ran parallel to the direction of the stairs. What needs to be done when the joists are PERPENDICULAR to the hallway?

Keep in mind, any attic access must comply with fire code requirements. We typically use 3/4 Inch plywood for the 2x2opening and then insulate it as best as possible with batt insulation. If it were my home, I would abandon the stairs and use a ladder during the few times I needed access to the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by greenme View Post
    Keep in mind, any attic access must comply with fire code requirements. We typically use 3/4 Inch plywood for the 2x2opening and then insulate it as best as possible with batt insulation. If it were my home, I would abandon the stairs and use a ladder during the few times I needed access to the attic.
    This sounds like what I already have. I want to put in attic stairs to take advantage of the potential storage space. Hauling the ladder up from the basement each time I want to access the attic is a hassle -- which is why I don't use the attic for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by cschofer View Post
    This sounds like what I already have. I want to put in attic stairs to take advantage of the potential storage space. Hauling the ladder up from the basement each time I want to access the attic is a hassle -- which is why I don't use the attic for storage.
    Did you really use any of that "stuff" in the past year?