+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Any tricks to remove old under counter sink?

We have a porcelain under the counter bathroom sink that is peeling. We want to replace it with a ceramic one - but first I have to get the porcelain one out without wrecking the counter. Any tips?

I've been able to get the p-trap out (that was easy it's plastic) but I have yet to get the drain & sink out. Any and all advice (maybe just hire a plumber!) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Any tricks to remove old under counter sink?

Assuming that the countertop is faux marble or similar, there are holding clamps on the underside that need to be removed first. Use a utility knife and cut the caulk as deep as possible between the top and the sink. You'll need to make multiple cuts with the knife before you get it under to any degree, do not force the knife or try to go too deep in one shot or you'll snap the blade or damage the countertop, not to mention possible personal injury. Once you get the sink out, you'll need to clean up the underside of the top. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND GLOVES for this whole process, the porcelain tends to chip and remain on the underside of the top and it's razor sharp. You don't need any of that in your hands or eyes.