+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Circuit Breaker problem

We recently had some improvement work done and during that a worker pulled an outlet from the wall and the main breaker tripped.We reset the main breaker and noticed that another breaker in the sub box had tripped.We reset that breaker and the main shut off again. After resetting the main again we checked every outlet in the condo they were all wired correctly and working ok. My question is why does this breaker trip the main and if all the outlets are good what would cause this problem? No outlets seem to be affected by this circuit but we would like to have it working nevertheless.

Default Re: Circuit Breaker problem

Quote Originally Posted by dodiefox View Post
    We recently had some improvement work done and during that a worker pulled an outlet from the wall and the main breaker tripped.We reset the main breaker and noticed that another breaker in the sub box had tripped.We reset that breaker and the main shut off again. After resetting the main again we checked every outlet in the condo they were all wired correctly and working ok. My question is why does this breaker trip the main and if all the outlets are good what would cause this problem? No outlets seem to be affected by this circuit but we would like to have it working nevertheless.
    Dont assume that because everything is working everything is right. If a breaker is tripping then its just doing its job. I would turn off everything and turn on just the one that was tripping, see what comes on and make a diagnostic from there. Without more info i can only guess its cross phased since its tripping the main. A breaker isnt causing the main to trip a short is, in this case a direct short to another phase. (probably since its the main tripping) If after turning everything off the tripped breaker doesnt reset then I am wrong and its a short to ground.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Thankyou for the advice. What I have a problem understanding is that when the breaker has tripped surely there should be 1 or 2 outlets that are not working there by being suspect to a short. All of our outlets work even with the breaker tripped, so does that mean there are no outlets on that circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by dodiefox View Post
    does that mean there are no outlets on that circuit?
    no, not necessarily, it could mean that one of the circuits is being fed by two different breakers each on its own phase (leg) thats what I meant by cross phased. If someone took an outlet apart that could be when it happened. One way to tell would be to turn all the breakers off and see if the one that was tripping resets. If it does then the outlets that are on are the ones to be suspected. If it doesnt then its a direct short to ground but I dont thats the issue because that wouldn't likely trip the main.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

If the original outlet was a half switched outlet, that is one half was controlled by a switch it may have had 2 circuits feeding it and the one installed did not have the jumper between the halves removed that could cause 2 breakers to trip.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb