help so lost
my bathtub cold water was leaking so i took the handle off and then use w wrench to turn it off and on again. that worked for about a week. so now the cold water is turn off but there is water still coming out the faucet. so i had to turn the water off from outside the house at the main. i have no clue how to fix this problem. i am going to need step by step help.
Re: help so lost
Sounds like a bad seat washer.
- Pick up a seat washer kit from the hardware store. The sales staff can help you find them.
- Turn off water at the main.
- Open faucet to relieve water pressure in system.
- With the correct sized wrench, remove the valve stem. Note: The correct size wrench is not pliers, vice grips, or a pipe wrench, these items will crush the valve stem nut.
- With the valve stem removed, inspect the seat washer at the end of it as well as the seat inside the valve body for damage or debris.
- Assuming all is well and the seat washer is all that needs replacing, remove the screw that holds the washer in place and install a new washer. Your washer kit will have multiple size and shaped washers, you'll have to find the one that fits the valve stem best.
- After replacing the washer, reinstall the valve stem into the valve body and tighten the nut until snug.
- Turn the water on at the main no more than 1 full turn, then check your work for leaks. Once you know you don't have a geyser, open the water main fully.
Google your faucet brand for specific procedures for your faucet. There are many sites that have step by step pictorials of the process.
Re: help so lost
I would think that just shutting off the outside valve would save a ton of work on repairs............. But then, I ain't no plumber.