+ Reply to Thread

Thread: car port

Default car port

I would like to build a free standing car port, 24 ft by 24 ft. with only 4 posts on the corners. I would like to use steel H-Beam to support the roof. Anybody know where I could find out what size H_Beam I would have to use, so it could free span 24 ft. I live outside vancouver, Wa. so it's minimal snow load.

Thanks, Terry

Default Re: car port

First off we need to no what size the rafters will be 2x6,x8,x10,etc. Is it going to be a gable,hip,flat.shed,. Will there be ceiling joist,what kind of shingles,siding on gables.

Figure out all the material,then go to the Iron shop,they will be able to help you. What kind of post are you wanting to use,steel or wood. Your going to need on heck of a footing for support
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Your going to need on heck of a footing for support
    Support and wind-lift both.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was planning on using square tubing for posts bolted to the cement pad, trusses, with the bottom closed in with plywood siding, and lap siding of cedar to match the house. My local steel supplier didn't have a clue.

Terry

I suggest you see an engineer or architect. Theres more to this job than you may think.How are you going to keep it from swaying. If you were going to have side walls then it becomes a different animal.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content