+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question plumbing in empty house over winter?

If I have an empty house where the electricity is shut off over the winter, should I drain the plumbing system, including the water heater? The water to the house is supplied by a well that feeds a bladder tank in the basement. Should that tank be drained too?

Default Re: plumbing in empty house over winter?

Recalls cabin that had not been drained properly over winter and the hours and dollars it took to repair...........

http://www.friendlyplumber.com/plumb..._plumbing.html

Drain everything and then go to the highest tap in the house and pump some RV antifreeze in the lines both hot and cold water. Pour some RV antifreeze in the P traps, flush the toilet so there is no water in the tank, plunge the bowl, put some RV antifreeze in the bowl and plunge it again. If any water left in the tank sop it up or put some RV antifreeze in that also. We used to own a campground so we've done this a lot.

Smile Re: plumbing in empty house over winter?

How do I pump antifreeze into the lines? is there something like a siphon attachment I'm supposed to use?
    thanks

Go to an RV store. They have kits designed to do this. They are very inexpensive.