+ Reply to Thread

Cool wiring new gas heater

ran gas line to detached 2 & 1/2 car garage. Bought 75000 hot dawg gas heater along with heat only thermostat and 24 volt 2 terminal transformer, directions for each unit only does not show how all 3 are hooked up. I believe that white from transformer goes direct to the 3 white wires in heater. Black from transformer goes to thermostat and then from thermostat to 2 black wires in heater, like on off switch, but would like to verify that so I dont blow myself up, any advise greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: wiring new gas heater

Every Modine Hot Dawg heater I have seen comes with a built in 24v transformer for the controls and you only need to hook up the red and white wire from the thermostat but you also have to hook the heater to a 120vac supply to power the transformer and the heater blower. Here's a link to the installation manual http://www.gas-space-heater.com/pdf/modine-install.pdf

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I looked inside and did see thermostat, 1 black of the 2 attaches to it, but still not sure where to hook the thermostat. Otherwise the 2 black and three white wires are hooked up to 120?, by the way thank you very much for responding, I asked 4 people got 4 diff. answers, you are only one to mention the trans.

If this is a new unit wires should go to a circuit board. 120v should be connected to terminals L1 and L2 and the thermostat should connect to terminals R and W. Can you post pictures with the access panel removed? What model do you have?
    Jack

New unit HSU 75 gas, there are 2 black wires taped together say power here, 1 goes to tranformer other I dont know. There are also 3 white wires 1 to fan others not sure, thermostat bought same time for that unit, 2 terminals 1 says RH other says white, I looked in heater seen board with terminals y C W G R. I believe your saying the black and white wires go to reg. 120 volt then hook up the RH from them, to R and W to W is that right, what was confusing me is how thermostat gets power thats why I bought 24 volt transformer. Your really great help others were way off. Thanks again

C W G R is the thermostat connections for the control board. R is a 24v output from the built in transformer to the thermostat RH and the W is the return from the thermostat W. There should be nothing but the thermostat connected to the R and W terminals

You should have a 120 v black wire it should go to the transformer and to the fan control, there should be a 120v neutral white wires to the transformer and to the fan motors.
    Jack

HSU 75 is a Mr. Heater not a Hot Dawg, here's the link to the installation instructions http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsl..._hsu_45_75.pdf

And yes the 2 blacks and 3 whites are for 120vac .
    Jack

Got it, Im good at electrical roughing but cant read technical stuff, like musician that cant read music. You have been very helpfull, cant wait to hook up tommorow, first time I:ll have heat plus just re did floor so all cabinets and bench tools actually roll. Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Stay warm.
    Jack