+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Trim Colors

Help! The body and trim of my raised ranch is white, the shutters are black and the door is a dark red. Boring! How do you properly choose colors for trim? I don't have money to invest in new siding, but thought I could do something with trim.

I also need suggestions for casing (frame?)around the front door. Right now its charcoal gray.

Suggestions please.

Default Re: Exterior Trim Colors

DVgoad,

The problem with wihite siding is that almost any color is in stark contrast to it, for sure black is! Short of painting the siding over again, try painting your trim in a subtle off white to give a white on white motive. The off white must be sufficiently different so that it does not look like a mismatch.The off white might be a creamy off white or something like a warm ,soft gray. The front door might be a stronger version of that off white color.

Almost any siding can be painted. In later years, I have painted many homes with faded aluminum siding. Nothing gives more bang for the buck then paint. If you should choose to go this route, go to your local paint store and look at the suggested color schemes published by the paint manufacturers. Most of us feel uneasy about choosing color schemes, but the paint companies have taken alot of the uneasiness out of the choice.

If you have access to a computer, you might try drawing your house on the computer, even if it's just with basic rectangles and thick lines for your trim, and then playing around with changing the colors on your screen. It's not definitive, certainly, but you can sure try out a lot of colors and combinations.

Aiken

I'm with ordjen, but more of a fan of the reverse, meaning a cream house. Actually, I love trim and all painted cream with a natural shingled roof. That's a very nice look. Not sure I've seen cream house with whiter trim, but have seen that work with other colors. It's nice and rich looking.

How about a pic?

I would second Aiken's idea and further suggest that you buy one of the manufacturer's computer programs that will allow you to scan in a photo of your home and then put any of their colors on any surface. Benjamin Moore has such a program. As I recall, the cost was about $10.

You're in the same confused state as we are. It is so hard to think what would look good on your home.
    We are in the final stages of purchasing the home I have posted on. The seller allowed for new paint...but what color. There is a site through Sherman williams that lets you choose a pre taken picture of a home(try to find as close to your own as you can) then you can play with all different colors, trims and accents. Our home to be is just small and has a gray ..almost white roof, so it throws alot of colors off. Good luck. Maybe that site will help you narrow your paint color options.