+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven floor under toilet.

I've just change out a toilet for taller one. Its base apparently is much larger than the old one and now I discover the floor drops a half inch at the front of the bowl. How can I work with this? Shim and caulk? Thanks for any suggestion.

Default Re: Uneven floor under toilet.

What is your floor made of?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Smile Re: Uneven floor under toilet.

I am not a plumber but my plumber uses coins like pennies or other small change to level out a floor when it is just a minor bit out of level.
    Sounds to me like you have more of a problem than just a minor one. I think your problem is under the floor,perhaps one of your floor joists is sagging. First off check to see if you can whether you have a major problem like termites messing up your joists and causing the sag or just poor structural engineering. If you are fine there and the floor joists will not give you any further problems then I would do what I saw Richard Trethewy do on Ask This Old House.
    A man wanted help in installing a toilet in a tight space so he called in Richard Trethewy to install the toilet. Anyway to make a long story short his floor was uneven too so Richard Trethewy brought in some Corian as a base for the toilet. I think it was already shimmed in the front or wherever the shimming was needed at the counter top place.
    What you will need to do is take the toilet up put it on some card board and then trace the outline of the toilet out including the hole for the flange and cut out the card board with all openings showing. Tell the counter top people what you need it for and they should be able to make a base for you out of Corian with the front part shimmed. This though will cause some problems as then your toilet will not meet your flange. Not to worry though because as Richard explained they have flange extenders that you can use. You will also need a good construction adhesive to put the base down and some caulk to seal the edges of the base only. You can use a little bit of caulk at the base of the toilet but as I have been told you never want to caulk all the way around the toilet as then you would never know if you have a leak or not at the base of the toilet.
    I also suggest that you buy your flange extension at a plumbing supply house and buy an extra large size wax ring. The extra large size wax ring will help to correct for any other inconsistencies in your floor. With the good base you really shouldn't have any other problems but you never know especially if your house is fairly old. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by hedgeclippers; 10-09-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cjsand View Post
    What is your floor made of?
    Wood over subflooring. I've deceided to return this toilet and try to find one with a smaller base. This one is 27" front to back. The old one was 16" Thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
    I am not a plumber but my plumber uses coins like pennies or other small change to level out a floor when it is just a minor bit out of level.
    Sounds to me like you have more of a problem than just a minor one. I think your problem is under the floor,perhaps one of your floor joists is sagging. First off check to see if you can whether you have a major problem like termites messing up your joists and causing the sag or just poor structural engineering. If you are fine there and the floor joists will not give you any further problems then I would do what I saw Richard Trethewy do on Ask This Old House.
    A man wanted help in installing a toilet in a tight space so he called in Richard Trethewy to install the toilet. Anyway to make a long story short his floor was uneven too so Richard Trethewy brought in some Corian as a base for the toilet. I think it was already shimmed in the front or wherever the shimming was needed at the counter top place.
    What you will need to do is take the toilet up put it on some card board and then trace the outline of the toilet out including the hole for the flange and cut out the card board with all openings showing. Tell the counter top people what you need it for and they should be able to make a base for you out of Corian with the front part shimmed. This though will cause some problems as then your toilet will not meet your flange. Not to worry though because as Richard explained they have flange extenders that you can use. You will also need a good construction adhesive to put the base down and some caulk to seal the edges of the base only. You can use a little bit of caulk at the base of the toilet but as I have been told you never want to caulk all the way around the toilet as then you would never know if you have a leak or not at the base of the toilet.
    I also suggest that you buy your flange extension at a plumbing supply house and buy an extra large size wax ring. The extra large size wax ring will help to correct for any other inconsistencies in your floor. With the good base you really shouldn't have any other problems but you never know especially if your house is fairly old. Good luck to you!
    ***! Thanks for the idea. I have access to floor joist and they seem fine with no obvious swelling or lifting of the floor. I've deceided to return the toilet and try to find one with a smaller base. This one is 27" front to back. The old was 16". There was no problem with the old one.
    Thanks for responding.

Sounds like you got a comfort height or what we used to call a handicapped toilet. They are alittle longer in the base. Just make sure if you are going to shim this, that you dont compress wax ring and then rock toilet back and forth. Coukld lead ato a leak.