+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Tile board placement on tub

Need immediate advice on tiling my tub/shower surround. I have about an 1" lip/nail flange (1/8" thick) along my tub and need to know if I place my 1/2" hardibacker board over the flange, or do I rest it above?

I have seen suggestions on letting it rest above the flange, and letting the tile hang over the flange then caulk with silicone between the tile and tub. I am using subway tile, so only an inch of tile will be attached to the hardiback board. Is this a good process? Do I put any adhesive behind the tile where it meets the flange?

Also, I have a window about 4.5 ft above the tub and about 4 feet from the shower head, so the shower water does not spray on the window. I am planning to tile up 5 ft from the tub, which means I will tile around the bottom of the window, including about 6 in. Should I tile the window sill? Should I tile around the whole window ans sill?

Thanks for your help!

-Nicole

Default Re: Tile board placement on tub

Anyone? Any advice would help.

Nevermind, went with a suggestion from the tile shop. I shimmed the tile board out over the flange, with a 1/4 inch space between the tub and bottom of the tile board. I used 100% silicone to fill in the space between the flange and backerboard. It looks like it's going to work out great.

good idea to fill tub with water then do your caulk at seam between tub and tile because water weight and body weight will make joint split if caulking is done first with no weight in tub